“Small Pierogies”

Ranked #12 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Polish
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Polish cuisine done to perfection in a great atmosphere. Chip away at basic Polish dishes or dare to try more interesting options.
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was excited to see they had meat pierogies available, but was disappointed when they were so small. I just purchased the appetizer portion which was 4, since I was by myself. But for approx. $8.00, I thought this was kind of high for the size of pierogies. The dinner was 8, but I'm not sure if they were any larger even though the price was double. Very good though!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The food was awesome. Will go back if I'm in Montreal again. We had both peirogi's and I couldn't say which was better.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Sounds strange to go to French Canada ad eat Polish food but it was a pretty good experience. The beer was good and there was old world charm. The pierogi were very good as well as the kielbasa. Service was adequate but the guy playing the piano was great! Give it a try when in the Old Town.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

On our last night in Montreal, my wife and I decided to go to Stash Cafe. What a wonderful evening. We walked to the restaurant situated on a narrow street in Old Montreal. We were seated immediately. The decor and the piano player set the mood. My wife and I both had the mushroom and cabbage pierogi and they were just as good as my Grandmother made.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place was very highly rated in several places and turned out to be just around the corner from our hotel so we dropped in. It was fairly early on a Saturday and there was no line, only a few people inside. (We were getting dinner before the light show at Notre Dame.) It looked like they were still setting up for dinner.I found out this place was named Stash after Stanislaus (forget last name) and decided I liked it. They used to call my Uncle Stan "Stash" when I was a kid. Figured it had to be OK.

Food was very good and authentic. Potato pancakes, cabbage rolls, pierogis - close to what I remember growing up. The hazelnut torte was pretty good too! Nice decor. It was a beautiful night so the windows were open to the street. Very charming. But...service was extremely slow and it was like guests were an afterthought. Several forgetful things like no fork after clearing salads, forgot one of the two coffee beverages we ordered (there were only 2 of us!), forgot the side applesauce for the potato pancakes, and we waited almost 15 minutes for a check and couldn't even flag anyone down. It seems like they were all in their own worlds.

A redeeming part was the piano player who started at 6. I guess if we hadn't been ignored for so long, we would have missed the music. He was playing a medley of songs from "Swan Lake" to Paul McCartney to Glen Campbell. Quite talented and very enjoyable.

So, recommended for the food and ambiance, but don't expect to be paid attention to.