“Should know what to order”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sho-Dan

Sho-Dan
Ranked #232 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Montreal, Canada
“Should know what to order”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

I'm writing this review after the second time I've been here. First time was Excellent! A friend ordered and he goes regularly, so I guess he knew what to choose, it was all great.

I returned and it was average. Took the red tuna sashimi which the waiter swore by - which I found very average - had an okay sushi pizza, regular unagi, and average 2 or 3 other rolls. I've definitely had much better for far less. Maybe because it was 9:30PM? But fresh ingredients should always be available especially at a Japanese restaurant downtown on a Saturday night! Service was very good, friendly and helpful staff. Likely to only return with friend who knows what to order. Going with the better review which is "very good" but if it was based on second visit it would be "Average"

• Visited August 2014

Brossard
“Great sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

One of the best sushi place out there. The specialty sushis are really awesome.
They are both original and tasty.

Sydney, Australia
“High prices do not reflect good food - hugely disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

One always hopes that forking out brow-raising amounts of cash will naturally equate to good food. This is definitely not the case at Shodan. The sushi is good - but nothing more than that. At $19 for 6 pieces of sushi, I'm expecting to be blown away, not left with that feeling of "I just paid how much for that??"

The The restaurant appears "fancy" in that they have some different twists on traditional sushi. Great, but I've had much better alternatives where I didn't feel like I was being ripped off. I like to think anyone who has a good palate for sushi would be able to see that there's nothing genuinely "gourmet" about this place.

I had the Adam which has apples and shrimp tempura with soybean paper (which is 100% tasteless). It was okay. My husband ordered the $24 teriyaki chicken which was an absolute overpriced disappointment. And we all know food disappointment is the worst kind!

Having spent 6 weeks in Japan and eaten no doubts hundreds of sushi in my lifetime, this place is a flop. I live in Sydney and have been to nicer sushi restaurants with tastier food for a fraction of the price. Surely there are less ludicrously priced options out there. I think something about the weird options and the chef's flexibility to customize rolls makes people feel special, so perhaps that is what has people returning.

My advice: don't fall for it - for the price, this place is a trap.

2 Thank thriftynomads
Montreal, Canada
“Even the non-sushi lovers will love it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I am not a big fan of sashimi/sushi or of fish in general but I honestly love this restaurant. I do enjoy maki rolls, however Sho-Dan will serve you more than your typical take-out sushi. They have a huge list of specialty items similar to maki rolls, but mostly made with soya paper. What you get on your plate is literally a work of art that tastes just as good as it looks. Yes, it's a little on the pricey side but we've been there twice now and each time we leave knowing that you get your money's worth - maybe not so much in quantity but definitely in quality. Very clean, white tablecloth-covered tables in a modern environment a few streets up from Ste-Catherines...away from the hustle of the downtown crowds.

LOS ANGELES
“White tablecloths”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Not your ordinary minimalist Japanese restaurant. Posh, lovely room. White tablecloths, quiet, low lighting, sushi bar, comfortable. Excellent service, generous servings, knowledgeable chefs. Expensive, but what sushi restaurant isn't?