“Not quite as good as it used to be but still worth the trip....”
Review of Schwartz's

Schwartz's
Ranked #76 of 5,881 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Maybe I'm getting a little older or the standards are in fact slipping a bit but my last visit here with the family wasn't quite as amazing as I remember...
I've been going to Schwartz's off and on for over 30 years now, first as a student at McGill University and then whenever I was in Montreal on business. Most recently, it was with the wife and 9 year old daughter when we passing through town on vacation. My daughter thought it was neat that we had to share a tables with other customers but a little bit more elbow room to maneuver would have been nice since we were wearing our winter gear and had a few bags of shopping with us :)
The food was still excellent but the prices are higher and portions smaller than I remember from a few years ago. I think the fact that the original owner has sold out to a group headed by Celine Dion and her hubby Renee may have something to do with that...after all they need to recoup their investment.
That being said, like others have posted, Medium Fat for the smoked meat is the only way to go. The three of us shared a large plate with three sides of fries and pickles...all washed down with a Cherry Cola. It was enough for about 3 really hefty sandwiches or 2 large and a couple of medium sized ones (which is what we did).
For me Schwartz's is a pilgrimage I have to make whenever I go through Montreal but some of that definitely has to do with the memories it brings back from my college days and our 1 am food cravings.
Incidentally, Sobey's grocery chain has started selling Schwartz's smoked meat sandwiches at their deli counter here in Ontario. Don't bother with that as they taste NOTHING like the real thing.

2  Thank GurpB

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Can't go wrong with a visit it Schwartz's deli...the staff are friendly, the food is delicious and the price is reasonable. There is a reason this place is still going strong after 85 years! We got the platter - a large plate is enough for 2 and comes with bread so you can make your own sandwiches (and have more than one!). The dill pickles are excellent too. When you are done, pop into their shop next door to buy some meat to take home. Will always come back here on visits to Montreal!

1  Thank Ali J
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Not the cleanest looking place you've ever been too, BUT amazing food nonetheless.
Enjoy the food and Montreal culture

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Once a year I have to return to my roots, where I was born and head for St. Lawrence Avenue and have my fill of Montreal style smoked meat or corned beef as New Yorkers like to call it. I've had both and it's not a question which is better, more like what your taste buds prefer. Last visit was August, had a mile hi of meat with my pickle and fries. Then went down the road for some wood oven baked bagels, but that's another story.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

An institution in Montréal . Not a. Fancy place. Good smocked meat, godd greasy fries. It now belongs to Celine Dion's husband!!!