“Landmark "hippie" hang out”
Review of Santropol Cafe

Santropol Cafe
Ranked #235 of 6,067 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Parc du Mont-Royal
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Healthy light fare. I have been going since I was a student in the 80s. The sandwiches (really big) , the carrot cake, etc. Still very popular with students.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Super sandwiches, like nowhere else, what a super nice place to see! Very different! Cream cheese, rosbif, etc. Great soups!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Café Santropol is a Montreal institution, no question. However, after not having visited for a few years, I found myself completely disappointed with the place.

The sandwiches, which made its reputation, are still decent, but have been simplified to their most basic ingredients. For example, the roast beef and blue cheese sandwich, which used to be composed with sprouts, cabbage, hot peppers and pickle, is now blue cheese spread and roast beef slices. Stringy roast beef slices, to boot. The side salad has also been reduced in quantity and complexity. Both these things create an issue from a value perspective - prices have unsurprisingly gone up.

Another thing to note for those with children - the kids menu is pathetic. Cheese or ham sandwich, around $6 each. Given the community heritage of the restaurant, I would have expected a more diverse and nutritious offering for children.

Service was poor, but we went on a Sunday at lunch - service is poor pretty much everywhere at that time.

In short, if you used to love Santropol, consider your next visit wisely. It might just ruin your memory of the place.

1  Thank oogli
Santropol, Owner at Santropol Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Hi oogli

I'm sorry your last visit to Cafe Santropol was less then favourable.
Yes, the sandwiches have changed in appearance. We did make a difficult
decision a few years back to eliminate the crudities like red cabbage,
red peppers, sprouts, cantaloup and orange slices and replace them with a salad. The salad still has sprouts, red cabbage,
carrots and tomatoes with roasted seeds and a homemade vinaigrette, all ingredients that can be produced locally.
We are happy with this decision because our customers are eating locally and eating most everything
on their plate. The amount of food we are throwing away in the garbage has been reduced by 70 to 80%.
Hot peppers, pickles are still available upon request.
I have worked at the cafe for years, I invented the Santropol sandwich, it never was served stuffed with the above crudities.
In past years the roast beef was pre-cooked and shipped to us by a suppler but now it is bought fresh and cooked on the premise.
I am surprised that your roast beef was stringy, this I will look into.

As for the children's menu, yes it is spartan, we unfortunately eliminated some of our child favourite sandwich spreads like Midnight Spread because of nut allergies.
We also learned that most of our clients with children share their sandwich, homemade chilli, fresh fruit or vegetable salad.

There is no excuse for poor service but thank you for understanding that Sunday lunch on a lovely summers afternoon on Labour day long weekend can be challenging.

I do hope you understand the decisions made and in the near future revisit, sit, relax and enjoy the simple pleasures of our cafe and garden.

All the best and thank you for your comments

Garth Gilker
Cafe Santropol

Reviewed August 9, 2012

the sandwiches and soup were delicious. the garen with the trellis/water feature and other garden ornaments made for a great ambience. we enjoyed the killer tomato and pepper island sandwhiches with lentil soup...

the prices were great.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Got a take out sandwich one night there.
Not much interaction with the servers, but they were above average for montreal.

The bread they use is definitely worth a try, and most sandwiches come with a small side salad. For the money ~$10 or maybe a bit less for an average sandwich, it was well prepared and tasty.

I would recommend trying at least once. They have good lighter options, as well as vegan dishes.

2  Thank Fabio H