“nice terrasse but menu is lacking”
Review of S Le Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
S Le Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed April 6, 2010

went there over the weekend because we were looking for a nice terasse to enjoy the weather. The garden/terasse is great, service is slow althought they apologized many times for it and menu was very limited for lunch.

Reviewed February 27, 2009

I work not very far from this restaurant so proximity came into play for my choice. I wanted to take a colleague out for a nice lunch. I liked it so much that I took another colleague out the next day and wanted to go back. I have worked in the Old Montreal area for quite a while and I have tried a lot of the restaurants, and I was looking for something new.

The location is nice, and I understand that in the summer there is a nice terasse. However I was visiting in the dead of winter.

The welcome: we were greeted promptly on both occasions and were offered to take our coats. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, very tasteful. There are banquettes, and there are tables and chairs. The chairs are very comfortable, with back cushions for added comfort. It looks formal, it is not casual dining, however I did not feel that it stuffy or too 'snob'. The attitude of the waiters lent to this - I found them friendly and very helpful. On my first visit, I was dressed in business attire, the second day I was in jeans but neatly dressed - that meal was not planned ahead of time. However, I still felt right at home.

It started with our wine selection - we were having a glass of white wine by the glass, which turned into a wine tasting. We did not really like the first couple of wines that we were offered (he offered a taste first), the third was nice (I can't remember the name!) but the waiter was very patient. We joked that we would pay for a tasting, but he was very friendly and helpful. He was quite dedicated to help finding us something that we liked. (Thanks, René - you're the best!)

The pan-seared tataki tuna on the appetizer section looked delicious, and we wished it was served as a main dish - well, we got our wish - they were willing to serve us to us that way. It was wonderful. The bread was delicious (comes from Première Moisson, a very good source for breads and pastries in Montréal). I had a dessert, the sherbet, again very nice.

On my second visit we both had the special, which was a beef bavette with the thinnest french fries. Delicious.

One last point: One of my criteria for choosing a restaurant has been the noise level, and this was not an issue in this restaurant (to be fair there were not too many people there). There are restaurants in this neighbourhood that you cannot hear yourself think when peak period hits - some very good restaurants. Not so here. There are some tables that have a view of the street (to watch the horse-drawn carriages go by or people watch - or have people watch you!).

Overall, for me, this restaurant is a lovely discovery. I look forward to trying the weather permits. Bravo, good job.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 15, 2008

Amazing terrasse.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Great when it opened. Not so great now.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook