“This Ruby needs shining”

Restaurant Ruby Rouge
Ranked #2,267 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I would have rated this restaurant 2.5 stars if half-stars were available.

We were a large group of 14 who had Dim Sum (trolley service) on the Sunday between XMAS and New Years. The place was fairly busy.

We were greeted warmly upon arrival by one of the maitre d's and were seated immediately even though our group was quite large. The decor was plain and typical of large Chinese restaurants.

The service was good and professional. What drove the 3 Star rating was the food. It was very, very average. The seasoning on many of the dishes was clearly lacking and the menu was unimaginative. Many of our dishes were either luke-warm or cold when it arrived on our table and this was probably due to the fact that the restaurant did not have enough trolley servers.

Hopefully the food will improve over time but I would not return to this restaurant.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I randomly stumbled on this place after traversing Chinatown for dim-sum on a Saturday late morning. The restaurant is on the second floor of this really old looking retail building.

The dim-sum was about average. And, the bill was pretty light. The whole experience was pretty average. If you're craving some dim-sum on a weekend morning, this place is fine. If you're looking for a special dining experience more unique to Montreal, then this place isn't it.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My mother and I had dim sum here on a weekday. The restaurant is located on a side street in Montreal's chinatown. There's a couple of stores on the main level and you have to go up a flight of stairs to the 2nd floor to get to the restaurant. I didn't notice if there was an elevator. The restaurant is quite large and we were seated at a table right away. The dim sum dishes are pushed around on a little cart by the employees. Each cart has 2 or 3 different dim sum dishes. They will stop at your table and ask if you want anything. Not sure if the all the employees speak English or French. If you don't understand Chinese, they will just show you the dim sum and you can decide for yourself. We had 6 items in total - with tax and tip, it was only $20 for lunch. The mini BBQ pork buns were good. The Chinese tea is complementary. The coffee is free also but you have to go get it yourself from a large urn. I didn't try the coffee so not sure if it's any good. They have a promotion between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm during the weekdays where it's only $2.50 per dim sum dish. On weekends, it's from 8:30 am to 11 am. This is only written in Chinese so if you are not Chinese, then make sure you ask about this special.

1  Thank Nancy s
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Customer service is horrible!!! My group dine in this restaurant they were serving in our table a dirty cutleries and staff are very unfriendly, they nearly slam every plate they put in your table. Some of the staff broke the plate because they keep slamming the plate. Not recommended. Eat somewhere else.

Not a happy customer.

1  Thank Jeff173
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wanted to go to kam fung but unfortunately it was closed so we went here.

The reason I gave a 2 was the service.

When we arrived it was empty, there were only 2 tables eating. Nobody was there to greet us until 'luckily' the waiter showed up and we were seated. He was quite rude when I asked if they still served dim sum (it was 3pm).

I saw 2 patrons came, weren't greeted at all, looked at the menu and left. I believe some of the cooks/staff who were having their lunch saw them coming, yet nobody said anything nor called for the waiter.
Another 3 patrons came, same thing happened to all of us, confused of the huge deserted place without anybody seemed to care just waiting patiently to be greeted.

Food was mixed. The fried turnip was dry. The shrimp of the har gaw (which was the shrimp dumpling) was good but the wrapper was too thick and chewy. However the pork steamed bun, pork dumpling (siu may), and the pork and mushroom dumpling were good.

Tea was complimentary.

All and all $23 with tips for 3 people were quite affordable, 6 portions in total.

1  Thank pouletcochon