“Great value”

Ranked #21 of 5,854 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This place was highly recommended by one of the locals so we decided to check it out. It is far enough from Old Montreal but still within walking distance. The place looks like it may be pricey and snobby but we were pleasantly surprised. It has a very warm atmosphere and our waiter was superb. He made great recommendations and attentive but not too much. Food was fantastic. If you like seared foie gras, you will not be disappointed - delicious! Rest of our meal was equally great - I ordered hanger steak and my husband ordered the lamb shepherd's pie. Paired it with Valpolicella wine and the night was "just right".

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Holder

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The overall atmosphere of the restaurant was good. The menu had a good selection of food and wine but three people in my party of 5 ordered the steak and all 3 had to send it back because they didn't cook it properly.

I would come back again to try something else though.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Authentic feeling Parisian style bistro. Basic bistro cooking very well executed. We were a large party (14 people) and this may have been my best restaurant service experience in years. Attentive friendly servers delivered hot food to the entire table--were responsive to all requests and quirks with a smile. Left feeling good about the place as though one were a regular at one's favorite bistro.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Having read many reviews of restaurants, I had the front desk staff at Place D'Armes, our hotel make a recommendation. They both suggested Holder. A good call. The restaurant is large and a little noisy and I might have picked 4 1/2 stars based on this, if it was available. But the upside of large is that we got to view many items before ordering. Food and service were excellent. Portions are large. The quality of the food was of the caliber I expected in Montreal. The price was actually very reasonable. We had wine, 2 dinners, and shared and appetizer and dessert and come out under $150 with tip. This was a great dinner. I would go back when in Montreal again.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I went there for a business purpose. Good service, people are really nice, no issue regarding that. Too bad the daily suggestions are just on a board in french (guess a few prints would be only a few dollars but make life easier for everyone). Nice place and good interior design. Wines for all prices but not a lot of interesting ones. People who took fish and chips loved eat, I had Veal Marsala that was really good, their ''creme brulee'' is excellent. So food and service is good but don't justify the price. Too sad as well that on the cheese card they just give the french name of the cheese without explaining which type of cheese it is, keep the name in french (no pb at all) but please give a description of the cheese :)