“Very good food, good night out”
Review of Restaurant Holder

Restaurant Holder
Ranked #27 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on the suggestion of the front desk at our hotel. It was very good, but (like I did before I had a baby) not very good for kids. Most of you considering going there probably don't have kids, but just in case. I'm rating it based on what I would think if I didn't have a baby with me, because that shouldn't influence the rating.

I originally gave it a very good, but then I upped it. I am quite a good cook, so going out to eat is often disappointing. I will get a meal and both my husband and I will know that I could have done better at home for cheaper. Its really just for the service and not having to do our own dishes. But Holder was beyond anything that I would have done at home, it was very delicious. And for that, it gets an excellent.

They were very accommodating for the baby carrier. And its good that our daughter sleeps right through loud noises, because this place is very loud. I get wanting it to be loud and hip, but if they would take the music down just a few degrees, then the people would go down to still loud, but able to hear the others.

For appetizer, we had shaved golden beets with pickled salmon and dill. At first we thought they brought us the wrong thing, because there was salmon on top. My husband (who loves beets), just said the beet appetizer. He didn't recognize the name of the other food, but figured that if it has beets, he will like it. Turns out that it was gravlack, pickled salmon, and it was delicious. I have a thing for dill in the summer. I think it must be the Swede in me, but that is what I always really want. So it hit the bill.

The meal was excellent. We both had the daily specials. My husband had the halibut. It was perfectly done, and the rice under it was amazing. I think it was a vinegar something that was with the veggies. I don't know. But it was light and refreshing and delicious. I had the bison steak with veggies. The roasted vegetables were amazing. Perfectly done, and delicious. The asparagus, which are in season right now of course, were as big as my thumb and so tender. The bison was deliciously seasoned and a perfect medium rare. It was melt in your mouth tender (especially for a flank steak).

I had a creme brule for dessert, and my husband had chocolate mousse and hazelnut praline. Both were divine, and the perfect way to end the evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

It has all three things you need to be great, excellent food, great ambiance and terrific service. The prices are reasonable and it is located between old Montreal and downtown.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Started off with a Cosmopilitain; I felt fancy that night. Then, of course, I took the salmon tartare. As soon as the fish hit my lips, I knew I was in heaven. Ordered a Croz Hermitage to wash everythind down with class. To top it off, I ate the lobster ravioli with truffle oil. Everybody at the table agreed that it was pure bliss. I can't say anything bad about that night, it was truly wonderful. The staff was very professionnal and friendly. Prices are well worth it. I would go back in a heart beat for any occasion. A MUST if you come from Montréal or if you're coming to Montréal.

1  Thank LisaR84
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I love the style and ambience of this place: high ceiling, large windows, with simple yet elegant decor. With its welcoming atmosphere, it's perfect for group meals, it will be a great place to kick off a fun night.

We went there on saturday and only had one main each from the brunch menu, which is the duck confit $21 and Pappardelle with mushrooms, pine nuts and pancetta $18, both are amazing dishes, all the ingredients mixed really well and cooked perfectly- especially the duck confit, i think its even better than the ones that i had in Paris! And the price is very reasonable too.

If I must complain, it will be both dishes are a bit greasy and there is too much parmesan cheese in my pasta. If i live here, this will def be one of my regular visited restaurants with no doubt.
I will defiantly recommend this place and go back again without hesitate.

Please note they don't take reservations. At least not on the day that I visited.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The menu provided a great variety. My husband and I are vegetarian ( we do eat fish and cheese ) so a lot of the restaurants in Old Montreal were out of the question ( very meat based dishes ). Holder had a lot of vegetation friendly courses! The servers were attentive, service and food was timely. The decor was updated and fresh!

For the quality of the food and service, Holder is hard to beat!!!! Compared to other restaurants in the area, do not miss this one! Make reservations though, its gets busy!