“French Bistro”

Ranked #57 of 6,036 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Good service, lovely atmosphere, delicious onion soup, mussels and the real French fries. A little bit of heaven in Montreal,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Went to this restaurant on recommendation of hotel and some friends that live in Montreal. It is certainly a very popular place - lots of noise, lots of energy. The staff was good overall, very prompt service, and did a good job of checking in with us during the meal. The food itself was good, not great. The salmon that night was very good, the steaks, a bit on the tough side. The side dishes were excellent.

On the negative side, the meal felt a bit rushed, as though they were anxious to turn the table over and get the next round of guests seated. Not the place I would recommend if you are looking for a quiet romantic dinner, but a good place to bring a group of friends for a dinner gathering.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went for lunch, a group of 18 people from an office. The lunch special was very good, and well priced. Service was impeccable, as everyone was served att he same time, which is very rare with a large group, all ordering different plates. The lunch special had 3 different choices as well. Would go back again. Nice clean, modern, comfortable atmosphere

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I went for a business dinner but found the ambience very relaxing. The place seems to be very busy.
After a week of several business breakfast, lunches and dinners, Holder is definitely one of my favourite places in Montreal.
The service was friendly, professional, and attentive.
The food was delicious. I had maji maji (it was one of specials of the day) with salad, all extremely good.
The portions are not huge and may looks a little pricey but when considering the quality in my opinion it was worth every penny.
Will definitely return next time in Montreal.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having such a disappointing dinner elsewhere the night before, I was a little scared to go through another ordeal. It was my man's birthday, and of course I wanted us to truly enjoy ourselves. We TRULY lucked out at Holder.

We were promptly seated and immediately enjoyed the busy fun bistro ambiance. Well decorated, clean, and welcoming. Our server, Nicholas P, was exceptional!! Probably the best server we had the whole trip. Quick, attentive, and charming. All of his recommendations were excellent and I could not believe how smoothly and well-paced our appetizers and main dishes arrived. The birthday boy had the Beef Tartare for an appetizer, and the Duck Confit for his main. I had the delicious mozza salad and mussels in a Pastis Cream sauce. We enjoyed a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and Nicholas assured our glasses were never empty. The place was very busy, and I was shocked at what excellent service we were given. I was SO relieved we were having such a nice time..
My date loved the place so much he wanted to come back the next day for lunch. Sadly, we did not have time, but we will definitely be back.

THANK YOU HOLDER! All the best to you!