“Excellent food, bad service!!!”
Review of Moishes Steakhouse

Moishes Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Moishes Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Napoleon
Description: There's a reason Forbes Magazine named us one of the Top 10 Steakhouses in the world. And why Moishes has become a Montreal favorite that has endured over 70 years. We think it's the authentic taste of each one of the old world favorites on our menu. If you're an old friend, welcome back. We're always delighted to see you. We couldn't have come this far without you. If you haven't yet, we warmly invite you to discover the taste for yourself, at our restaurant overlooking historic Saint-Laurent Boulevard (The Main.) Ce n’est pas par hasard que le magazine Forbes nous ait désigné comme l’une des 10 meilleures maisons de steak au monde. Et que Moishes soit l’un des hauts lieux de la gastronomie montréalaise depuis plus de 70 ans. D’après nous, c’est à cause du goût authentique des mets à l’ancienne qui figurent sur notre menu. Si vous êtes un habitué du restaurant, ce sera un plaisir de vous revoir. Nous sommes toujours ravis de vous accueillir.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

From the entrance to the restaurant you get the feeling that you are not wanted there.
Waiters are very serious, not smiling. Just doing their job... I got a feeling that I interfere with there work.
Steak was great, but I did not feel comfortable there.

1  Thank Constantin E

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I've eaten there so often but for the first time I am writing a review here:

This place is no slouch when it comes to a good steak meal. I have eaten in many steak places in my lifetime, but nothing beats Moishe's (after all, it was rated by Forbes as one of the top 10 steak houses in the world- y2008).

What can I say: but that the steaks melt in your mouth ... juicy, tender and well-aged.

I always start with their chopped liver appetizer (which is accompanied by deep-fried shredded onions) - very tasty.

This is then followed by a top-notch rib steak cooked medium-rare. By the way, a cautionary note: their steaks are seasoned with their own steak spice, which may be a tad salty for some folks ... if you are concerned of this, order it "au naturel" and salt-season it afterwards to your own likings.

All main meals are accompanied by a choice of starch side-dish, but my recommendation is their infamous "Monte-Carlo" baked potato.

One more mentionable - all meals also comes with an all-you-can-eat in-house made cole-slaw and pickles which are so addictive that you can not stop munching

I will forewarn that the restaurant is a high-end steakhouse with prices that reflect that. The décor is somewhat "business men's club" like ... but don't worry, the clientele is widely varied from young to old couples to families (by the way, I have spotted quite a few number of celebrities dining there every now & then)

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Don't be scared by menu prices! It is a fairly good deal for the size of steak you are getting.. $220 with tip for two. Had the chicken soup as an appy and it was delicious. I had the rib eye med rare and girlfriend had sirloin which were both good but my girlfriend ordered hers med well and it came out med rare to rare. I love that you get bread pickles and coleslaw(all so good) when you sit at your table. The chocolate cake for dessert was delicious and the Napoleon like dessert(Meuille feuile?) also delicious and huge. You will be taking home leftovers from this place!

The only thing I would say I didn't like was the way the servers looked. They need to relax a little bit and not be so uptight, not one server smiled once that I talked to.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Found this place by reading the review on Tripadvisor. I must say we really enjoyed the restaurant We both ordered appetizers chicken soup for one and I had the shrimp cocktail. He mentioned the soup was good but not terrific. The shrimp cocktail was better than average but not great. We both ordered the bone in filet mignon as we had never heard of that steak and after asking the waiter he concurred with choice. Let me stop here and mention his level of service. He was an impeccable server. He was a real professional. There when you needed something but gave you space and ample time to enjoy each course and drinks. He seemed to take pride in his craft and really helped with ambiance of the dining experience. Back to the meal. The steaks were some of the best we have ever had. Seasoned enough and grilled exactly as we ordered them. On the other hand the Monte Carlo, what they call twice baked potato was good just paled in comparison to the flavorful steaks. The crime brûlée for dessert also was good but again the steak stole the show. This place is pretty expensive but I would go back again and recommend it.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Hys in Vancouver or Ceasar's in Calgary For me it's Moishe's in Montreal. They have a 75th anniversary late night $25 dinner with a steak appetizer and desert. Arrived just after 9pm on a Thursday and it's bustling. A beautiful plate of dill pickles and the Brest cole slaw await you and are bottomless. I ordered the special and started with some chopped liver just for the tradition of it -- it was great. I had the bone in rib steak and their special potato (cheese mixed in with mashed potato and put back in the baked potato skin). My friend couldn't resist the 28 oz rib eye. I had been before when they asked how much fat you wanted in your steak, but not this time. The food was good the service as well but I just enjoy the ambiance and looking for Duddy walking in the door.