“Happy Birthday”
Review of Moishes Steakhouse

Moishes Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Moishes Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #80 of 5,772 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Napoleon
Description: There's a reason Forbes Magazine named us one of the Top 10 Steakhouses in the world. And why Moishes has become a Montreal favorite that has endured over 70 years. We think it's the authentic taste of each one of the old world favorites on our menu. If you're an old friend, welcome back. We're always delighted to see you. We couldn't have come this far without you. If you haven't yet, we warmly invite you to discover the taste for yourself, at our restaurant overlooking historic Saint-Laurent Boulevard (The Main.) Ce n’est pas par hasard que le magazine Forbes nous ait désigné comme l’une des 10 meilleures maisons de steak au monde. Et que Moishes soit l’un des hauts lieux de la gastronomie montréalaise depuis plus de 70 ans. D’après nous, c’est à cause du goût authentique des mets à l’ancienne qui figurent sur notre menu. Si vous êtes un habitué du restaurant, ce sera un plaisir de vous revoir. Nous sommes toujours ravis de vous accueillir.
montreal canada
“Happy Birthday”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Four of us went to Moishe's last night for my birthday, with our gift certificates in hand (bought at Cosco at Christmas time - $75.00 for a $100.00 worth of food!) We had made a reservation, so there was no wait time in the foyer, and they said they had been expecting us....we were ushered to our table, in a large darkish room, quite noisy, that had a tin ceiling...there was some lovely artwork on the exposed brick walls, and the lighting was diffused. We took advantage of the "after 9pm" $25.00 menu, which offered ample choices for everyone. The appetizers included caesar salad, salmon tartare, chopped liver with onions; and pickles, bread, and moishe's own coleslaw were put on the table immediately, and they were delicious. I chose a caesar salad, which was tasty, but not that special, and a steak filet, really a small filet mignon....it looked very lonely in the centre of a white plate, no other accompaniments, except a stuffed potato, that was served separately in a dish.It was cooked as ordered, and very tender. One fellow eater had the rib steak, which looked good, but lonely again, another had the poutine with sliced filet mignon on top, and our vegan diner had some grilled veggies. The poutine was a small dish, with fries on the bottom, smothered in the special gravy, and slices of the meat on top, more of a miss mash, no vegetables or garnishes. We ordered two glasses of red wine, and the glasses were only a third filled, and they cost $12.50 each!!!! I feel that we got ripped off there, but at other fancy restaurants it is the same thing....fill the glass up, please, for that price!!!!! The waiters were very attentive, and refilled water glasses and took away plates very promptly, and they even brushed the tablecloth of crumbs!!! We were offered coffee, and I was given a delicious slice of chocolate mousse cake with a candle to share with my family, and the waiter sang the song!!!! All in all it was a delightful evening, no rush, and the owner was sitting near the door, greeting people, and he even wished me a happy birthday as I left - nice touch! We will go again, but we will have to stick with the after 9pm crowd, otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford the high prices....thanks, Moishe's, it was delightful

2 Thank wbrit

Ottawa, Canada
“It was good, but ...”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The food at Moishes is good. We were four adults and one tween. Service was good. Filet mignon steak was as ordered. I have eaten at many fine restaurants ... however, I do not believe that it was worth what we paid. We went on a recommendation. We ate at an equally good restaurant in the Old Port for a third of the price the night before. Will we return to Moishes, no, we just can't justify paying that kind of money for a dinner out.

1 Thank Arcand_Wrights
Westmount, Quebec, Canada
“Dissapointed ..”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I ate at Moishes the first time 45 years ago ,my father was a regular there .. since Moishe passed away his sons have not done a great job at keeping up its status , we were 15 family members eatingf supper there together one evening , 10 of us ordered the same rib steaks they all looked different different sizes thicknesses , and so on , the monte carlo potatoe came cold and seems to have gone on a diet it lost half its weight and size .. While Lenny Lighter was busy hitting on attractive woman and cruizing them he should have made sure his clients were happy and well served .. not the case table were so close when i asked someone to pass the butter the guy at the next table passed me his .. waiters are all new the old ones retired .. the Manager David , seems to have an attitude and that is why he keeps bouncing back from one resto to another , i think both the lighter brothers need to take a good long look at staff and so on and make it better ,. I go to the Rib N Reef regularly and the staff service and food make it hard to complain about anything their cole slaw and pickles keep getting better , andf there steaks are the best in town .

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Lee K
Mississauga, Ontario
“One of my favourite”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Service was very good and not rush. Steak is made just as I ordered, also has a great wine selection. Only thing I that would have made the experience better is if they had more variety of side dishes and deserts.

New York, NY
“Good but not great steak. Family friendly”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's no Peter Luger's but we took our two year old to an early dinner on a Saturday and felt right at home. There were at least five other tables with kids at 6:30 pm. They bring coleslaw and pickles as starters- which I've never had at a strakhouse before but they were good. The sides were also good but the steaks were just ok. If they were aged at all my husband and I certainly couldn't taste it. The restaurant did have a nice classic steakhouse feel but overall it wasn't worth the money to me.

Visited February 2013

Been to Moishes Steakhouse? Share your experiences!