“Disappointed this time around”
Review of Moishes Steakhouse

Moishes Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Moishes Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 5,724 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Cross street: Napoleon
Description: There's a reason Forbes Magazine named us one of the Top 10 Steakhouses in the world. And why Moishes has become a Montreal favorite that has endured over 70 years. We think it's the authentic taste of each one of the old world favorites on our menu. If you're an old friend, welcome back. We're always delighted to see you. We couldn't have come this far without you. If you haven't yet, we warmly invite you to discover the taste for yourself, at our restaurant overlooking historic Saint-Laurent Boulevard (The Main.) Ce n’est pas par hasard que le magazine Forbes nous ait désigné comme l’une des 10 meilleures maisons de steak au monde. Et que Moishes soit l’un des hauts lieux de la gastronomie montréalaise depuis plus de 70 ans. D’après nous, c’est à cause du goût authentique des mets à l’ancienne qui figurent sur notre menu. Si vous êtes un habitué du restaurant, ce sera un plaisir de vous revoir. Nous sommes toujours ravis de vous accueillir.
Montreal, Canada
“Disappointed this time around”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been to Moishe's many times over the years, usually to celebrate special occasions. In the past the service has been excellent albeit rushed as they expect to do a few seatings throughout the evening. This time, I really must complain because our waiter was very inattentive. He neglected to show us a wine list until we asked for it - twice. We finally received our glasses of wine after our starters and only after the entrees had arrived.He asked us if we wanted a second glass as he was clearing the main course plates away - way too late. This restaurant used to be very generous with their glasses of wine but now it seems you get about 3 ounces for $12 to $15, and in the wrong shaped glasses to boot.
This was a Saturday evening and it was jam packed. The noise level was very high and although we were four people sitting around a small square table by a wall we still had difficulty hearing each other.
Despite the poor service and the noise, the food was absolutely delicious, as usual. I ordered the ribeye, which was cooked to the desired medium rare. The flavour of the meat was superb as were all the accompaniments.
I am disappointed with Moishe's not only because I know how great it used to be but also because I believe that when I pay these prices I should be very satisfied with the whole experience, not just the kitchen's expertise.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank note2denise

Miami Beach, Florida
“Hide Away Moishe of Montreal Que”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hard to find, but worth looking..Jewish style steak House...2nd floor on St Lawrence St..Ask anyone..Also a great deli within walking distance is Swartz Smoke Meat..2 great restaurant..I is a great steakhose nd the others is a Great deli..

• Visited September 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Best Ribs Steak!!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

From the pickles to the steak to the dessert, everything was excellent when we went this past summer. My rib eye was one of, if not the tastiest steak I have ever had. The restaurant serves delicious, garlicky dill pickles, tasty coleslaw and fresh rye bread as starters to your meal, grilled sweet bread excellent. We learned that the steaks come from Colorado and are extremely flavorful and are grilled to perfection. The Napoleon dessert ( called millefueille on the menu) suggested by our excellent server, Sergio was a fantastic end to a great and special dining experience. Do not miss this restaurant if you like a good steak. Neat, old school atmosphere. Worth every penny.

• Visited June 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Tasty food - solid service”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Our second visit. We reserved using open table, and arrived on time for our reservation and we were seated immediately. Service throughout the meal was attentive - can't tell you how many people serve each table; someone is always filling water, pouring wine, bringing additional soft drinks without having to ask.

We had small filet, lamb, and chicken. Each dish was delicious - beef very tender and cooked to order, same with lamb. All servings are large - my goodness you get 1/2 a chicken when ordering Moishe's special chicken. Pricey, but we knew that going in. Presentation of the steak is a bit odd - just a piece of meat on a white plate. I had the coleslaw and pickle with the meat, and of course the famous stuffed potato.

All in all, worth the $$ for an extremely tasty, well served meal.

• Visited November 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Just "so so"”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Moishe's famous for steaks, so that's what we had. My daughter's New York striploin was excellent and cooked exactly to her liking. I had a disappointing filet mignon, which had not been properly trimmed, and had too much fat.

Watch out for wine by the glass!! It's pricey compared to comparable restaurants ($15/glass) and the portions are only about half what you would expect.

All in all, next time I'm looking for a good steak dinner in Montreal, I think that I'll go elsewhere - perhaps to Gibby's.

• Visited November 2012