“Cozy but quaint”
Review of Modavie

Modavie
Reserve with OpenTable
Modavie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 6,036 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: St. Laurent
Transit: Place D'armes Metro
Description: Seven nights a week, local bands take the stage at Montreal's hottest Jazz bar and bistro. Modavie's spirited setting sets the scene for a night of great tunes, top dining and generous pastis toasting. The bistro's far-reaching wine menu hits just the right notes and helps round off succulent lamb, fish, beef and inspired pasta dishes.
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We visited this recommended restaurant on a rainy November Friday evening. Even though the view outside was not so pleasant, what was going on inside, made up for that. The gentleman who seated us was friendly, the waiter was extremely helpful(too bad he had smoker's breath) and the atmosphere was fabulous. The Friday night jazz singer was unbelieveable. I could have swore that it was a CD playing. Cudos to her, she was fabulous!! Delicious bread was brought to our table promptly, followed shortly by our pasta meals. The servings were not huge by any means, but they certainly were tasty.
Thank you to Jamil from the Intercontinental Hotel, for recommending this fine establishment.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,576)

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We got the prized corner window table at this active, noisy bistro. Dinner was accompanied by a live bass and guitar performance. Although the place was packed on this blustery evening, the service and food were both excellent. The octopus and white bean salad with fresh greens, frisee/lardon/egg salad, duck confit and braised lamb were all delicious.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have been wanting to try this place for a long time ...and that is something that can make me a tough critic. Modavie stood up to the test...everything was wonderful. I was initially worried because when I phoned to make the reservation, the man on the phone was gruff and did not seem to understand my questions. Perhaps there was a language problem there. Once at the restaurant, every single person working at the restaurant was super kind and professional. The waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu and the wines. When the fellow came to fill the water glass I had just reached for it and he kindly told me to take my time to drink....in other places they might have grunted that I was taking up their time. We asked for the second floor to be near the band which was playing the Blues....three men...a bass guitar, guitar, and drums. Very nice. It was loud enough but not too loud that you could not hear the people at your table or even a table over. (Those who sit downstairs can still hear the music well....so you might want to choose that option). I would also suggest asking for a table near the windows....it is a pretty view outside which was lit up with Holiday lights and cascading icicle lights....romantic. During the dinner a woman who comes around to all the restaurants came to sell long stem roses...another nice feature about Old Montreal. Anyways...the food here...the prices are very reasonable -- the table d'hote was $29 - my husband had the pureed mushroom soup, halibut in beurre blanc, followed by a good sized portion of an excellent tiramisu. I went a la carte ...onion soup which was a moderately sized portion (and just as well)....very good quality. Too often onion soup is so salty or too peppery...this was perfect, The amount of cheese was not excessive. Lamb is their specialty...you can get chops, rack of lamb etc. I had the most marvellous lamb burger....delicious moist meat served on a home made brioche type bun with garlic aoili, lettuce and tomato and good quality feta. The fries were good too. I had the apple pie (mostly apple slices on a but of puff pastry with sauce) and ice cream. Good quality. The wines are very reasonably priced. The Proseco was $9 for a totally full flute (most places serve 4 ounces). The Les Jamelles Pinot Noir was very smooth (a good suggestion of Stephanie the wonderful waitress) and it was $11. Everyone seemed to be having a great time, and were pleased with their meals. There was one family with two young sons....but no other children...this is a place for adults. Great for a date or romantic evening. Having the music was just wonderful. They played 30 minute sets so you could listen to them for a bit and then talk to your partner for a while. Try this place - it is charming - and you won't be disappointed. PS - was surprised to hear mostly English spoken by patrons and staff....so this is a good place for tourists.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

The whole experience from start to finish was incredible. Lorenzo was extremely hospitable and did an excellent job seating us close to the live music. Our server was very nice and informative. The lamb was AMAZING. A wonderful way to celebrate my anniversary with my boyfriend. Everything I expected and more.

1  Thank Aynsley J
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My fiance and I recently visited Modavie for dinner and were kindly offered a corner table by the window upstairs so that we could listen to the jazz. My fiance had a kronenburg blanc to start and I had a French mojito, they were both delicious. We ordered the scallops provincial for an appetizer, which arrived after fresh buns and butter. They were tender and succulent. A bit pricey for the 3 scallops ($14.00) that you get, but worth it for how delicious they were. Next, we had a bottle of Cab-Sauv and our entrees which were the rack of lamb with goat cheese and the trout amandine. Both cooked to perfection. We passed on dessert as our entrees were large and satisfying. The wine was fruity yet full-bodied. Our bill came up to just under $200.00 which we thought was reasonable, considering the soft jazz we got to listen to, free of charge. Definitely recommend this restaurant as the service was prompt and courteous, and the food fresh and delicious. A bit pricey but worth the indulgence for the great atmosphere.