“Vibrant jazz bar and restaurant.”
Review of Modavie

Modavie
Reserve with OpenTable
Modavie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 5,927 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: St. Laurent
Transit: Place D'armes Metro
Description: Seven nights a week, local bands take the stage at Montreal's hottest Jazz bar and bistro. Modavie's spirited setting sets the scene for a night of great tunes, top dining and generous pastis toasting. The bistro's far-reaching wine menu hits just the right notes and helps round off succulent lamb, fish, beef and inspired pasta dishes.
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Saw reviews so went along. Buzzy atmosphere with great live music and service. Varied menu to suit all tastes. We had confit duck that was very good and a steak tartare that was a bit different. It had sun dried tomato in it that was inedible. Spoke with the manager Lorenzo who agreed it was not great and asked me to mention it in any review I might make. He apologised and gave us two very nice glasses of port.
Overall would thoroughly recommend to jazz and food buffs.
Small point with the red wines. They are cellar cool to table and need decanting for right temperature.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went here for a birthday treat and it lived up to its name. Food was amazing - rack of lamb was delicious. Cocktails were mind blowing!

Jazz band were fantastic and the atmosphere was really electric.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I have been going to Modavie regularly for the past 10years. Each time we have dinner there we are treated to great service, great food and great entertainment. The mix of a live band and splendid food keep us coming back for more.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful anniversary meal at Modavie, with remarkably great service. The atmosphere was wonderful, the food and wine delicious, and the waiters all attentive and charming. Live music provided a fun atmosphere, yet it was not overwhelming. We will definitely return. Lorenzo was a particularly attentive and sincere.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I really have to wonder why this place keeps getting rave reviews. However, I have to give credit to our server. She was doing well under trying circumstances. The place was full to the rafters of conventioneers and trying to control tables of 20 and 30 people at a time could not have been easy. They should really have had more staff with a crowd like that.

As the place supposedly specializes in lamb, we decided to stick to the lamb dishes. My wife had the lamb burger. It was overcooked and dry. It would have helped if we'd read the reviews here before trying the place as other reviewers made similar comments about the lamb burger. And for $19 before tax... ridiculously overpriced. I had the lamb chops. They were properly seasoned but very thin and hence overcooked. How can you cook a chop properly if it's barely a quarter inch thick? they were half the thickness of your average supermarket lamb chop. 5 of them for $30, again overpriced. The vegetables were fine, though. As for the wine, there's not much there for the price either.

As for the jazz which they advertise as being there nightly including specifying who the band is for each evening of the week, not sure what happened the night we were there but there was no jazz. There was a musician downstairs who played two songs at 7:30 then took and hour's break before returning.

I used to live in Montreal and we rarely dined in the old town. Now I remember why. Many of them are overpriced tourist traps but our hotel was a few blocks away and we wanted to listen to some jazz over dinner. Unfortunately it's hard to determine which ones are worth attending from the reviews.