“For sushi lovers!!”
Review of Maiko Sushi - CLOSED

Maiko Sushi
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Outremont
Montreal, Canada
“For sushi lovers!!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Maiko sushi is my favourite sushi place in Montreal with two locations; Bernard street in the city and Sources Boulevard in the west island.

The pieces of sushi are fresh and tasty, and are pretty big. I usually tell them to cut rolls of 4pcs. into 5pcs, because its a little much for the mouth.

Check out chefs specialties or inquire about a few other items that aren't even on the menu.

Service is great and the employees make great suggestions.

It's not only sushi, there are hot plates too.

Favourites are Gravlax (sashimi salmon with fruits and salad), Kaki-Aghe (sweet potato, mayo, green pepper - this roll is delicious and topped with a blueberry, spicy tuna and spicy lobster rolls, kakitama soup, l'enfer (fried, cooked salmon in a roll).

The food is worth the price, and if you love sushi then it is highly recommended.

I cannot say that there are any bad menu items. .. :)

Enjoy

“Superb meal”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

What is special is that the sushi is outstanding, but the rest is also extremely original and delicious. Don't miss the scallop dishes. A bit pricey but worth it.

Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Not What We Expected”
Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

Up front, note that the food here was good. Not outstanding, but good. What was off, in our estimation, was the difference between our expectations and what we received.

We arrived late evening to a restaurant that was 2/3 full, and were shown to a perfectly nice table. Wine list was a little weak and overpriced, but the pricing seems to be a Quebec condition. That said, we decided on appetizers and a chef's selection of sushi and sashimi for main.

Miso soup, a throwaway in most sushi restaurants, was solidly good, with a better depth of flavour and fresher ingredients than most. My girlfriend is crazy about gyoza, and these were excellent, with fresh ingredients and flavours that popped. These were also cooked crisper on the outside than most that I've had, suggesting they might be deep fried rather than cooked traditionally. I ordered calamari, and that was the highlight of the meal for me, as it was cooked well, tasted great and came with a plum dipping sauce that didn't taste like it came out of the same catalogue that everyone else uses.

What was a little off for us was the 32 piece chef's selection. In a sushi restaurant, I guess I would adhere to the maxim of simplicity and fresh ingredients leading to the best result. Basically, let the fish lead the way. Unfortunately, this was a case of technique runnng riot. The selections that we were given were dominated by rolls of all description. Normally, I could say that I ate fish at a sushi restaurant. Here, I ate rice, as neither I nor my girlfriend could remember having more than a couple of pieces of fish (and I ordered two of those, some unagi, a la carte). The rolls were well-crafted and creative, containing an interesting mix of textures and tastes, but dominated by rice and not fish.

Basically, an OK meal and well executed for what it was, but not for us. We would not repeat. Dinner for two with a bottle of wine but no dessert was about $160, and the price and the difference between reality and our expectations represented poor value for us. If you like rolls, done creatively, then give it a try and you will probably be happy, the food is decent. If you are looking for a protein hit dominated by fresh fish, then either order a la carte or look elsewhere.

1 Thank Jon H
Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best Sushi in Montreal”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This restaurant offers the most outstanding quality and taste. If you want great food and amazing service, this place is it.

• Visited August 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Best sushi in town”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Brilliant! Why isn't there a Japanese restaurant like this in every city? The paradise vegetarian roll, the house roll, the fresh sushi, sashimi, outstanding. Third time there and we'll roll around again when next in town. Don't miss it.

Visited August 2012