“Om shanti food great”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Sherbrooke
Transit: Peel Metro station is closest to us. Take the Stanley Street Exit. Publis Bus is the #24 on Sherbrooke street. Stop is at the corner of Peel and Sherbrooke.
Description: Deeply entrenched in downtown Montreal for more than 3 decades. Carefully staffed by people trained to treat every guest as a celebrity and invitingly decorated with complex figures embedded in simple, modern lines.
“Om shanti food great”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

went with a group of people amazing food amazing quality a little expensive but lots of quality dishes loved it will go back again

Visited June 2012

Toronto, Canada
“Worst value I've seen in a long time...service was terrible.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Food was delicious but the quantity was ridiculously small. Ordered the Saag Beef and for some odd reason it didn't come with rice. Stew without rice. Same with all the dishes in the restaurant.
We begrudgingly ordered the nan bread (yes, unlike the rest of the universe, this restaurant doesn't give you bread for your table). And we were completely taken by the fact that EACH piece of bread was $4. The flour must have had gold dust in it. The funny part is that I've spent quite a bit more on meals (see my other reviews). But I can honestly say I walked away satisified with the value every where else. In this case I wouldn't pay half of what I paid.
Stew without rice... Really..? I jokingly asked for a straw so I can eat my food.

The service was ridiculously bad. During a Montreal snow storm, we stood outside for 20 minutes because the restaurant wasn't open yet. Ok, I get it, but many other places would let you in so as not to stand in the cold. Jeez. The entire staff were inside and looked at us directly.
We were the first table to order, and the food took 30 minutes. My friend ordered the butter chicken and it came in a bowl of soup basically with 3 pieces of chicken. We complained and he got some more chicken. The cherry on top was how the waiter was talking to us. He basically was trying to make us feel like we haven't been to nice establishments or that all Indian restaurants are like this. For me that was my anger trigger. I explained to our beloved waiter that we have visited more restaurants than we care to admit, and that this place isn't even that expensive. Told him to go get the bills and not say another word. Needless to say, a different waiter brought the bill and asked what was wrong, so I recounted the story. He amusingly asked whether we were going to have dessert. I said I would be worried about being charged for the fork on the side!
All in all the food and atmosphere were quite good but im never coming here again.

1 Thank Fayez E
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“best indian restaurant in Mtl”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The food is excellent, the service impeccable and the place is nice. We tried a lot of things in the menu over the years and we were never disappointed. We discovered the last few times a genre of table d'hote where you can pick in the menu many dishes. You can share and try many things. And you have to try the mango lassie and the naan bread.

• Visited October 2012
montreal qc
“The best Indian restaurant in Montreal.”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

New Decor, ambiance, variety of authentic north Indian food and eficient service, presence and personal attention by Kapoor the owner makes it the most popular and enjoyble place in Montreal.

Visited November 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Lunch Buffet may be but nothing else...”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went to this Indian restaurant for the Third time with friends. I love Indian and had not really enjoyed a lunch buffet experience there the first time. Not because of the food which was decent for the price but because the very antipathic owner seemed to be watching us,pushing his waiters to rush us and rudly asking us if there is anything else ?
The second time was dinner on a Friday night and the food was not fresh but not too bad. The third and hopefully last time was to celebrate a friend's birthday.Firstly again the owner greeted us very rudly from the start.After all Le Taj claims to be a fine dining Indian restaurant so one expects a bit of curtosy and manner from the owner (or may be he should step aside and assigne the greeting part to one of his nicer waiters).The food again was not very fresh except the chicken tikka grill and the mixed grill which were fresh.The bread was too undercooked and very thick and the curries lacked taste.Some of my friends at the table were surprised by the food and informed me that since the renovations 2 years ago ,it seems the quality of this restaurant has declined. I think it still may be a decent place for the lunch buffet but do not think the dinner is worth the price and the attitude of the owner.

• Visited November 2012