“Meals like this remind me that good will ultimately triumph over evil”
Review of Le Pegase

Le Pegase
Ranked #81 of 5,710 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: Located in the heart of the Plateau for 25 years, Le Pégase is renowned for its fine French cuisine and a selection of meats cooked to perfection. You can bring your own wine, so ... be your own sommelier and select your favorite bottles!The decor and atmosphere are welcoming and friendly. A romantic evening between lovers or a convivial moment for friends conjugate there perfectly.--In the kitchenThe owner-chef Michael Audet-Laparé is illustrated in many restaurants (Chez Victoire, Le Quartier General, Laurie-Raphaël, Grenadine) before investing in command of Le Pégase. Assisted by Jean-Luc Peyrotes, he applies, every day, to work fine seasonal ingredients on the well-kept cooking and to express his taste for the culinary innovation and the marriages of flavors. In the dining-roomDamien Haennel, associated owner, orchestrates the service and its rhythm with a lightness tinged with twenty years of experience in catering. A good mood and a professionalism which favors the friendly reception of our duet of waiters, Johann and Morgane.
New York City, New York
“Meals like this remind me that good will ultimately triumph over evil”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Few meals I have eaten have surpassed my evening at Le Pegase. From the appetizers through dessert, it was simply perfect. Ambiance was cozy with a casual formality--like dinner at the home of the wealthy grandparents of a close friend. Service was very friendly. It is pricey--but for what else do we acquire slightly more money beyond what is necessary to meet our needs if not to experience evenings like this.

1 Thank Justin S

Toronto
“Classic French menu in a homey atmosphere”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

A gem of a restaurant off the beaten track. Food was simply outstanding and ranks as one of my top 10 restaurant meals ever. The escargot stuffed rabbit was simply divine. Staff were extremely efficient and made great effort to describe the dishes in English (which was not their first language). Would highly recommend this place. A bring your own wine place so the bill was ridiculously inexpensive.

Medford, New Jersey
“Fine dining at it's best!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We were extremely pleased to find that there were so many superb restaurants close to where we were staying in Montreal. However, after checking TripAdvisor and noting Le Pegase was very highly we were even more pleased to note that it was only approximately 50 yards from our rental property. Even more significantly, we were also delighted by the standard of the meal, plus the service was excellent and the atmosphere great. Le Pegase is a very cosy restaurant with a relatively small number of tables so reservations are recommended. It's also BYOB so the value is good also with no mark up on wine to be concerned with. We went back for a second visit during our week long vacation and the second experience was as good as the first. The venison, lamb and filet mignon were all superb and for any subsequent trips back to Montreal we would definitely ensure we visit Le Pegase again.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent French Cuisine”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I called and they were prompt in their answer and book me fast. The place is small, simple and I was lucky to find a parking just in front of the restaurant. The ambiance as soon you enter is like being in a parent's home. The waitress was kind. Service was excellent. Since I did not knew you had to bring the wine I had none and they don't have but I was allowed to go to the store at the corner of the block (five houses of distance) and it had a fair wine collection. The food is excellent: taste, service. You must come to eat here!!

New York City, New York
“Absolutely delightful meal”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I went to Pegase this past weekend after reading many other tripadvisor reviews. I was looking for a nice restaurant to celebrate my birthday while on a weekend vacation with my boyfriend. It was our first time in Montreal and definitely wanted something with some more classic French influences.

The Location:
From downtown the restaurant is a little out of the way but we took the metro and walked which was not bad for us since NYers are used to that kind of commute. We were battling some thunderstorms and the waitstaff offered to call a cab after the meal if it was desired. The restaurant itself is small and cozy, like being in someone's living room. We went on a Sunday evening with a reservation. It was full but not packed and you could still have a conversation without having to yell or lean across the table. It is BYOB so pick up something ahead of time if you can.

The Service:
We were seated fairly quickly and it seemed there was only one hostess/waitress with another woman helping out here and there. The waitress certainly had the strongest French accent we had heard in Montreal but if I didn't catch something she didn't seem offended to repeat it. In NY we are used to very fast paced service and meals and her vibe and the restaurant as a whole allowed us to slow down, relax and enjoy the meal.

The Food:
This is the absolute reason to go. The food was phenomenal. You have two options for the menu which ultimately decides how many courses you get. We chose to splurge for the larger option which comes with soup or salad, an entree, a main dish and a dessert with coffee. You also get bread, butter and liver patee for the table (yum). The soup and salad were basic and nothing particularly special but the rest of the meal was wonderful. I chose the duck ravioli, lamb and apple pie for dessert. My boyfriend had deer tartare, bison steak and death by chocolate. We of course shared most of the meal and were very pleased with the simplicity and portion sizes. Everything was cooked and seasoned perfectly and I don't think we left a scrap of food behind.

Overall:
Quaint setting for a delicious and quiet meal. As someone who dines out quite frequently and explores many restaurants from famed chefs I can say this meal was one of my all time favorites. HIGHLY recommend it.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Marissa G