“Great vegan food”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Really awesome vegetarian food served here. Good ambience. Excellent service. If you love Indian cuisine then this is a must visit place. Though the food is not exactly Indian, its the closest thing you can get here, way better than any Indian restraunt. Try the vegan combination. They are reasonably priced with excellent dished. And don't miss the desert.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The "eat with your hands" food is just OK. There was not much that distinguished it. We were a large group and you couldn't hear anyone talk. I guess eating with your hands and sharing plates with others is off my "healthful things to do" list.

1  Thank lulupearl
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I enjoyed my meal here (my first experience of Ethiopian food), but I wasn't completely won over. One of party had been to Ethiopia and said that it was very authentic and high quality, but I found it a little monotonous. I liked the tastes of the dishes, but didn't see much difference between starters and mains, and would have preferred a fork (sorry) so I could have eaten more of the meat and sauces without quite so much of the pancake strips. Finally after eating lots of great, and cheap, Asian food in Montreal I thought it was a little pricey.

1  Thank Bristoldiner
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Based on the great reviews we saw on trip advisor, we walked the 2 blocks from our hotel to Le Nil Bleu. The reviews were spot-on, we had the tasting menu and loved it. The cocktail of the day was excellent (included vodka, guava juice, ginger and peach schnapps). The key-lime mini-cake with white chocolate made for a terrific desert. The price is very reasonable, ($25 per person for the menu sampler) and the service was friendly and efficient. We're veteran Manhattan diners, and this restaurant impressed us. Our friend who is a bit conservative in her dining choices bravely tried Ethiopian food for the first time and really enjoyed this cuisine. The decor was fun with a bit of Safari flavor. I preferred the tribal/tropical music on the house sound system (it was more in line with the atmosphere of the restaurant) to the live piano player's set.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

first tried Ethiopian food at a conference in Rochester, NY. Already there, I was impressed, even though that restaurant was a little dingy inside. Imagine my surprise on seeing how nice Nil Bleu was inside and then how flavourful the food was! It's too bad they aren't BYOW anymore (they used to be), but it's a great experience with friends. The sour ethiopian bread they serve the food on and which you use as an eating utensil is wonderful!

What's great about this place, and their food, is that they have combo plates you can get for the table. This way, everyone can try a little bit of everything. Each different dish is wonderful, really complex flavour profiles, spices, marinades and a lot of stewed meats and lentils. The only downside is the DJ and the sometimes loud and obnoxious music. Other than that, this is a great bet for an interesting date night, or for dinner with friends. I agree with the other reviewers that you should try to sit outside if you can. Oh and make sure everyone WASHES THEIR HANDS before eating :)