“C'est Bon”
Review of Le Mas des Oliviers - CLOSED

Le Mas des Oliviers
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Middlebury, Vermont
“C'est Bon”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food was excellent. The manager helped us with the menu and suggested a special way he could prepare the shrimp for me. The restaurant staff was all helpful and prompt with our food and needs. The building itself screams old Montreal, even though we were outside of that historic district. We dined inside the restaurant instead of on the patio on the street. The artifacts on the walls, white tablecloths, and fireplace all added a sense of character to the place. The bread and garnishes were a nice start. Our food was very hot and done to perfection--my wife had the duck with potatoes. The dessert was included with the meal and was so good---light chocolate brownie with ice cream and carmel sauce....The prices are relatively high but so is the quality!!

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Canada
“Food is great but the service is even better”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were treated for a special evening at Le Mas des Oliviers and what a treat it was. This being our first opportunity to dine at LMDO we were served by the most professional and knowledgeable waiters. We have eaten in many fine restaurants around the world, and have seen poor service, good service and excellent service. LMDO certainly ranks in the "excellent service" category.
We were a party of six. One of us had some dietary concerns and asked about the ingredients in one of the dishes she was interested in ordering. Rather than the waiter replying that he would check with the chef, he knew the answer right away. When it came to choosing a wine, he too knew the differences between a few wines I had asked about and helped me make a choice that was perfectly balanced with the meals those who enjoyed that wine, had.
In our group of six, we had four different meals. We had two orders of bass, one tuna, one veal and two steaks. All meals were loved by those who ordered them, except the steaks. One had to be sent back as it was seriously undercooked, the other steak eater said hers was tasteless. I'll presume due to the fact it is pan fried rather than char-broiled. When we mentioned to friends the next day, we had gone to LMDO the night before, she said, without any indication what anyone at our table had eaten, "I hope you didn't have the steak", and then went on how she too had had the steak there before and didn't care for it either.
Do not judge this restaurant by the steak meals alone. Both fish and veal dishes were outstanding and highly recommended.
It is not cheap to eat here, but for an occasional treat, go for it.

• Visited June 2013
Houston, Texas
“Cool Montreal Experience”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Looks like nothing from the outside. When we entered you walk a few stairs down so that you are almost below ground level. The ceilings are low and you feel like you are in a dungeon or bodega or something but its cool. I was surprised by how big it was inside, and everything table was full on a Sunday night. Excellent french bread and a plate with carrots and olives served upon arrival. The food was very good. Everything was based on a fixed menu. I had a mushroom puffed pastry and Veal Scallopini. Cheesecake for desrt was not very good.

• Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not so Good”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We didn't mind the Tyvek across the street, it was a holiday weekend, so there was no construction noise, and the place looked quite inviting, the weather outside was pretty good, so we sat outside. I had read a lot of positive things about Le Mas Des Olivers, especially on YELP, which is most cases reliable. However, though the restaurant was beautiful, and waiters very charming, personally, I felt the food was sub-par. I know, I know, why did we order the predictable onion soup? Because both my boyfriend and I adore it, but the onion soup had to be the worst on the planet, It tasted as if the chef had fallen asleep with a box of salt in his hand. I was sick for two days from the amount of salt, and I was too sheepish to let them know. My fault. Boyfriend, who never complains about anything (God bless his soul), whispered to me during the repast that he felt the soup was a bit too salty! A Bit??? Canned anchovies have less salt in them!! We then moved onto the main course. I had a steak, he had the surf and turf. My steak was good, well seasoned, tasty, with nice steamed veggie, and a really great small salad, I could not complain, however.... Boyfriend's steak was the size of a dime, and the lobster tail was awful! What could be worse than an extremely overcooked, dried out and glued to the shell lobster tail? (Yes, the onion soup!!!) And please do not order an iced tea.... it was scary, foamy (?) and bitter. Dessert was not so bad as all the rest. The Mille Feuille tasted very homemade, pastry crispy and delicious with fresh fruit and a beautiful and sensuous cream. The chocolate mousse was very good as well, piped into a cocktail glass, with a rich strong chocolate topping. Go there for dessert, because dessert won't cost you $180, which included only 1 small inexpensive glass of wine, and an ice tea (if you want to call it that). Who would think that you could have a bad meal in Montreal? I certainly did not! Oh yeah, and by the way, right next door to Le Mas Des Oliviers was a West Indian place that was packed to the rafters. A strong and steady crowd moved in and out, some carrying take out bags, others not. Next time I go to Montreal to see my boyfriend, we are headed there, for sure, instead!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank laurie s
Kansas City, Missouri
“WOW!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is the most wonderful place for lunch or dinner. Lunch is an experience as all the wheelers and dealers of Montreal come in for a power lunch. Dinner is elegant and all in a bistro type environment. Staff and management treat you like family.

Visited May 2013