“The food was great, the service was excellent!”
Review of Le Mas des Oliviers - CLOSED

Le Mas des Oliviers
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I went to this restaurant because of reviews I read online. If you weren't specifically looking for it, you could easily walk right past the low doorway of Le Mas. We got there as two chic elder ladies were leaving. They seemed to know the owner because they each gave him a peck on the cheek on the way out. Our servers was very attentive and playful with my 6 year old daughter. I started with escargot, which were not in the shell, yet still very tasty. My daughter had the turnip and carrot soup du jour, which was a deep bowl and creamy. I ordered the garlic shrimp and filet mignon, which was cooked to perfection and a healthy portion. My daughter had the salmon, which was also cooked just right, although the lemon-something sauce did not really get along with the carrots which were the side for the dish. Nevertheless, the fish was really more than enough to satisfy on its own. I think they may have guessed she wasn't going to eat the vegetables, because they brought us a complimentary side of french fries (the real potato, cut, fried kind). Then it was on to the dessert. My daughter chose the profiteroles, which I had read were nothing to write home about (ironically, since the reviewers DID write about it), but I believe in individuation so I did not press the issue and let her figure it out for herself - she did. Instead, I got the chocolate mousse, which was heavenly, and enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and let her make up her losses by sharing. We both thought the dinner was great, but it really was the service that went above and beyond. Everything came out in a timely manner, there was no wait in between courses, and we never felt rushed. I am considering going back soon because I heard the table next to us raving about one of their dishes that I didn't get to try. Looks like they have a very varied menu. I would really recommend this place if you are in town.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Nice location. I must admit walking through the tiny door was almost a challenge but I was pleased to have made it inside without a huge bump on my head. The first room was cellar like. Very french and extremely comfy, We were seated in the back room. It was a Monday late lunch and I was pleased to find such a great restaurant open. The service was impeccable and the food amazing. I started with a house salad, which brought me back to my childhood. The dressing was great! It was so good I asked for the recipe and surprisingly enough it was written down for me. The rest of the meal was delicious as well, fish steak, we all shared and savored every bite! I will definitely visit again!

1  Thank cjddmm
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had not been to Le Mas des Oliviers for over ten years. My last visit was for a closing dinner related to a business deal, which was memorable for the waiters all having stopped forward en masse to unveil the food with a flourish.

The staff this time were uniformly older, polite and male. The room also seemed to be unchanged since my last visit: a basement, tavern ambiance with brick walls and archways.

The soup I had to start was a very interesting fish pescadou, which involved applying cheese and sauce to dried baguette slices, which one then submerged in the soup. The wine list escalated very quickly in price.

Main dishes were $40 and up, which seemed a bit steep for the quality. My tuna medallions were nicely seared but came with a sauce I found gluey and salty. The wasabi mashed potatoes were disappointing.

Not a bad meal, but I expected better in light of the prices, especially in Montreal, where food is taken seriously.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Old school formality, professional and knowledgable service and outstanding food. The seared tuna may have been the best I have ever had. Outstanding value for money. We are going back tomorrow night, and we have NEVER done the same place two nights in a row in Montreal.

1  Thank Bruce V
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Very very good - excellent French cuisine. Gracious hospitality, warm cellar-like atmosphere. Excellent value for the mid-range prices