“Perfection at Le Mas des Oliviers!”
Review of Le Mas des Oliviers - CLOSED

Le Mas des Oliviers
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
New York City, New York
“Perfection at Le Mas des Oliviers!”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I moved from Montreal about 10 years ago, and everytime I come into town, I always make a stop at my favorite restaurant in Montreal - Le Mas Des Oliviers. The owner Jacques Muller and his staff is always welcoming and always seems to remember me and my husband. My favs at lunch is usually steak Tartare or their salade ultime - their table d'hote always includes an apertizer and desert - perfect lunch spot (I do love their terrasse too, when I can get a spot!). Dinner, I would recommend their fish soup, rack of lamb (cooked to perfection) or their tuna with wasabi - recently, I had this amazing pistachio mousse for desert, that made me want to kiss the chef.

This is a must stop for Montreal foodies and tourist alike. Enjoy!!!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Canada
“Disappointing overpriced salade "ultime"....”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I want to like this place so much - a nice old country house ambiance, promising menu and attentive staff. But the prices are high for the quality of the food - today was a large lunch sized salad (called their "ultimate" salad) - instead it was over salted soppy seafood (tuna and shrimp I think) covered with slabs of smoked salmon. Maybe their other main courses are better.....some of the wait staff come with a particular attitude but I suspect its part of what they think the distinctive experience is of being condescended to by a french waiter.

Oh well.

1 Thank velo007
Arlington, Virginia
“Great Food & Witty Staff”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Had a great time at Le Mas des Oliviers. Brought a business guest here who grew up in a French household. One of the main reasons for the choice was that it was open on a Sunday night. No mean feat to find a restaurant open in Montreal on Sunday! Happy to say, the meal made the grade.

We both have the potato and leek soup, followed by the salmon and selection of lamb, beef, duck and foie gras. Excellent!

For dessert, chocolate mousse. I commented that their cheesecake had received rave reviews and a petite slice was included with the mousse. My guest had berries and requested some chantilly which was whipped up and tasted divine.

We had a wonderful conversation with our server who was fluent in English, albeit we did utilize our French as much as possible.

I can't help but feel that certain guests either attract excellent or poor service based on their own behavior. We closed the place on a Sunday night and the staff were still smiling when we left. A call was also made for a taxi back to our hotel. I'd call that good service.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A waiter with an attitude”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Good food but overpriced. The experience would have been better had the waiter not been condescending and with a really snoby attitude. Would not recomend to anyone not speaking parisian french or coming in casually dressed.

1 Thank Bdro
Montreal, Canada
“Disappointing visit with guests from outside north America”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a restaurant that has done it`s time, and anyone hoping for a `Montreal Experience`would do well to go elsewhere. We invited special guests to a lunch, hoping for positive experiences here, as we had felt in the past. The service was unbelievably condescending to our guests, and even though we both speak excellent French, the waiter seemed to feel he should pretend to be one of those arrogant staff from Paris of 30 years ago! There was no consideration of our guests who spoke limited English, and minimal French.
we constantly had to ask for cutlery, basic of water, and ended up serving the wine ourselves.
Please enjoy a real Montréal restaurant and go elsewhere, where your patronage are appreciated!

• Visited June 2012