“My lucky day”

Restaurant Le Grain De Sel
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
“My lucky day”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Flew into Montreal from Wash DC and we had just about 24 hours in town. Birthday gift from my husband to visit Montreal to have dinner. Never been to Montreal and we had very little time, so restaurant choice was very important. Chose this restaurant from the reviews on trip advisor. Either Montreal has hundreds of superb chefs or I was extremely lucky with my choice.

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, from the energetic and attentive wait staff, to the bread with condiments that you wish you could have at home, the amuse bouche of scrambled eggs with anchovies, wild mushroom appetizer, and the halibut main course were excellent! Actually more than excellent.

And then the bill came and I couldn't believe the cost for this unforgettable meal. At home a meal such as this would cost 2 - 3 times as much, maybe more. I would consider flying to Montreal again just to have dinner at Le Grain de Sel. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Drexelbo

“Nothing can compare....”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This must be the best meal I have ever eaten. It is difficult to put the feeling into words... I read the tripadvisor posts....and chose the restaurant on that basis. No description here could do justice to the experience we had. "Experience" is a deliberate choice...it was not just a meal. This is a relatively small restaurant where you get personal service that is professional and warm. Even the chef came out to see us twice. The menu is relatively small and extremely creative. The pairings of tastes, seasonings, textures....and the plating...all superb. An interesting amuse bouche of a fried beef ?ravioli with strings of yellow beet that must have been pickled. Then a full basket of warm bread that seemed to have a soft potato texture....served with the glasses of condiments described here in other posts. Each sauce was unbelievable. One is like a piccalilli ...but it was not cloying or acetic. My husband had a starter of a halibut lasagna with a corn salsa....and I started with the wild mushroom ravioli (even though that is supposed to be a dinner....). Then he had the arctic char and I the duck breast. It was served with roasted radiche... when have you ever had that? The coffee and desserts were excellent. The prices are super reasonable...$23 for the char and $25 for the duck. We each had sauvignon blanc for only $7.50 a glass...This was an intimate setting where you could easily hear your partner. Bet.e and Stef music played most of the evening in the background....a lovely romantic sound. Another great thing about this restaurant is that there is a ton of free parking right in front of the restaurant....no meters on this street at all. If you take the 720 highway...it is a few minutes from downtown....it might look far on the map but it is close to the tunnel and quite convenient. We will be back many times I am sure. Go people - run don't walk!

1 Thank cohenprof
“Really good value”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We tried during the taste montreal event. Long time we wanted to go and were not dissapointed.
Service is really, really nice. Cook came to ask if we liked his plates and this is always great to see.
With one bottle of wine, it cost us 120$, add probably another 40-50$ if it's not during the taste MTL event.
It's not the most innovative food but a lot of local things used.
I really recommand that restaurant.
Only thing I would improve is their wine selection

“Best soup ever!!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We tried this restaurant as part of the Taste Montreal event. The amuse-gueule was a squash risotto that was tasty but a bit dry to my taste. Then my wife ordered the creamy leek soup, cheese and crunchy granola. It was DELICIOUS. The best soup I have had in a while (well, my wife had it). I had ordered the porchetta di Testa, gravlax, fennel with maple and Mujol caviar. Her soup was soooo good. Then she ordered the roasted chicken waterzooï, snail, radish and parsnip, while I took the handmade blood pudding, olive and candied lemon. Both dishes were very good. Grain de Sel is known for its blood pudding so I had to try it and I was not disappointed. We finished our meal with a chocolate Terrine that was good.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great service, great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I (who don't speak a word of French) stopped in here after reading some positive reviews and were very happy to find that they weren't at all misleading. Our server was very friendly and while her English was far from perfect she was more than happy to switch to it. The food was delicious and well presented, and the chef stopped by the table to see how we liked our meals. For the meal we got I found the price to be very reasonable. The only rub is that it is a little far out, but hop on a bixi bike and you'll get there in no time! It's totally worth the travel time.

• Visited June 2013