“Would like to give a better note for the staff efforts”
Review of Le Cabaret du Roy - CLOSED

Le Cabaret du Roy
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Description: Do you have the makings of a pirate? Welcome to Le Cabaret du Roy, New-France pirate's den! Welcomed in a warm, funny atmosphere of a 18th century pirate's den, you'll live an experience...Out of the ordinary! How about joining the crew of the infamous Balthazar la Moule, pirate in Nouvelle-France? While tasting your delicious feast, musicians and lively mates will make you sing and laugh like only pirates can do! You'll meet and chat with the finest sea rovers as they try to find new recruits at your table and tell you stories of buried treasures, mermaids and sea battles!
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Same owner as l Auberge du Dragon Rouge. Maybe that is why my expectations were a bit higher than the final result?

On the positives, the decor and the staff costumes (we attended a pirate night party) are very nice. Also, as in the Auberge, staff is taking its roleplaying very seriously. Of course, as this is mainly a group thing, there is some wait between services but overall I must say that the service was properly conducted, with no very long wait time for anything.

On the neutral, the food. For a meat place, the best thing I got that night was the starter salad, with greens, seeds, ec. Pretty refreshing, and tasty. Not so happy about main courses. My ribs were not of very good quality, and the rest of the plate was nothing to be discussed. Desserts were fine, but nothing more than that. Again, same level as you would get in any "sugar shack". Also, not sure that the mix of Caraibes and Quebec terroir makes any sense.

On the negatives...unfortunatly, the show. Or the absence thereof. The lead singer could not really be heard as his mic volume was too low. A great brochette of characters were presented to us, but really nothing else happened with them. So the only real entertainment was to play blackjack or dices on the overcrowded tables...with fake money of course so...when a bunch of drunks occupy most of the seats, that is not necessarily fun.

Also, maybe riding the pirates wave half-way to nouvelle-france is not the best idea? Mixing Pirates of the Carabeens with Daniel Boone is a long shot in my view. Choose one or the other and stick to your theme, that will make it all more credible for all. And your menu could be more focused.

It is a tough business to provide a show and decent food. Most fail . This is not completly the case here, as the food is OK, the service is great, the decor is fine...but the show is disapointing.

On the good side, there is a solid base for potential improvment!

PS: All the evening we attended was performed in the French langage only, so that might be something to check out before reserving if you do not speak it.

There are newer reviews for Le Cabaret du Roy

Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited this restaurant to celebrate my dads bday. At first we wanted to check out le dragon rouge (sister restaurant) but since that was fully booked they suggested to us this location. Having been to both I can tell u that their dragon rouge location pushes the theme much further. My main criticism of this place is the fact that the ambiance was lacking...the staff was great but I left wishing there was more! On a positive note, The food was surprisingly good...I expected for this type of establishment that the food would be mediocre at best... so i was more than pleasantly surprised! I had the deer ribs they were tender & I loved the glaze on them. I also tried the cured charcuterie plate as an entree I had never tasted such a good version of jerky. Also for the old port this place was quite reasonably priced!

1  Thank Sembriaco
Reviewed April 9, 2013

These are people that not just serve, but are acting a role. Part of that role might be negative to English out-of-towners that just walk in, not reserve ahead, expecting excellent service.
You'll never get the same experience twice. (read entire review, I'm a fan)

I suggest visiting during "Le Grand Boucan" which is basically a Pirate Day with activities for kids in the day, and for adults after dark.
Visit their website for the calendar of their special occasions.

This is not just downtown, it's in old Montreal, so the pricing is according to the area. If you want something better for cheaper, try their sister restaurant that is not downtown.
Prices are in par with other touristy themed restaurants.

Here's a trick to experience this place - just order soup & bread. Part of the fun, if you don't like the service, is complain. However the opposite is true, if you like the service, be verbal about it. This type of restaurant, and it's sister themed, will appreciate customer participation.
Dress for it if you can, it's a visual cue that you'll be participating.
Try placing yourself in the 17th century, the French are the working class, and the English are newly in power.

3  Thank Mark_Derail
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I agree with voyagemom's review; I am a local and found the waiters/entertainers rude, brusque, took forEVER to get our food which was just ok. Entertainment was minimal with alot of yelling.We are bilingual but was obvious our english questions were not welcomed. The food was mostly things like boar (yuk) and rustic-type foods. Money would be better spent going to a good french restaurant like the one near the sailor's church to get a taste of Montreal and its fine cuisine, and now in winter to a good Cabane a sucre (sugar shack) for traditional fare. It is in fact a tourist trap and the managment should reinvent their approach to their customers and how they like to be treated.

3  Thank joliejojo
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I cannot comprehend the positive reviews this “restaurant” receives. Went with 3 children and we all agreed that this was one of the worst “dining” experiences we ever had. First of all the service was not only poor but brusque. The “entertainment” was not acceptable with the surcharge that is added to the bill. It was basically a couple of card games where big winnings were promised but nobody one. The food for Montreal was terrible.

4  Thank voyagemom