“The best sangria”

La Sauvagine
Ranked #695 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
ON, Canada
“The best sangria”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

A day in Old Montreal found us thirsting for something cold. We had the white sangria at La Sauvagine and wanted to order another pitcher :)
We sat on the patio which was covered so we got a break from the sun
Food: cannot rate the food as we did not eat
Atmosphere: quaint and relaxing
Servers: our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. We had questions and she made us feel at ease, like she had time to talk even though we could see she was busy.

This girl gives the Sangria at La Sauvagine a two thumbs up. I'd like to add more about the restaurant but we weren't there long enough for me to form an opinion

• Visited August 2014

Toronto, Canada
“A joke”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My family and I were strolling down St Paul Street looking for a place to eat. It was rather late and busy so my wife asked the greeter how long of a wait for food. She said around a 1/2 hour. We told her that is fine and proceeded to the patio area. She told us that we had to sit inside even though there were plenty of places to sit outside. I told her that we wanted to sit on the patio. She said no and that in order to sit on the patio we had to order food. I told her that is why we are here and that is what we just discussed. All of the sudden some testosterone fuelled bus boy told me to "show some f___king respect. Pardon me??? I explained to him that we came here to eat and that we just discussed (at length) how long food will take to prepare. I was then told to "f__k off".
Instead of getting into a fist fight with this idiot busboy (I had my family with me and was on vacation) we promptly left.
This place is a joke and they need to watch who they hire. Telling guests to F off is bad for business.

2 Thank X_rjh_X
Guelph
“Good location, average food, terrible service. Do Not Waste Your Time & Money Here!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We chose this restaurent while walking on Rue St. Paul to have dinner. WRONG! We had to wait about an hour after ordeing our meal. They brought us our drinks and a bread basket right after
taking our order, then completely abandoned us. Even after 45 minutes, when I asked our waiter how long it will take for our food to be ready, she disapeared and did not come back. Fifteen minutes later, I went in and asked for the manager. A young man, who larter turned out to be one of the waiters, was introduced to me as the manager. We finally got our food, which was only ok. The waiter who brought it didn't even bring us more water, let alone asking if we needed anything else. We decided to just finish our meal and leave. No exppanations, no apologies. It seemed they didn't care one way or another. I paid the bill, then went in to speak with the manager again, just to remind him they need to work on their service. This time the real manager showed up. I believe the first time the waiters were trying to cover up without letting him know. I must note that this guy was pleasant and listened to me carefully, although I needed to explain it twice to let him know that the problem was not so much that our order was delayed, but the fact that the servers didn't bother even checking on us, or explaining, or even apologising. In fact one of them was somewhat rude when delivering our food and bill. To his credit, the manager did apologise and offered to give us a glass of port to help with our digestion, which came too late. Besides, by that time we had lost interest in staying there any longer. A good restaurent needs more than just a good spot and good food; friendly and good service goes a long way. We are NOT going back there again.

2 Thank DocPhilip
NYC
“It worked for us”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stopped at La Sauvagine on a beautiful July Saturday for a quick lunch and elected to sit outside on Rue Saint-Paul to people watch. My lady love had half a carafe of the house French white wine which she pronounced more than serviceable. We ordered two tapas and then shared an entrée of moules et frites (mussels and French fries). While the latter was a smaller portion than we expected, we walked away with full and happy tummies. I did not expect 4 start cuisine here, nor did we get it; what we did get was solid but not spectacular. I thought that the service and waits were fine, given the lunch rush. I would actually rate the restaurant between Average and Very Good.

1 Thank EastVillageDenizen
calgary
“Good location. Tasteless food and slow service”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

A restaurant that relies largely on local traffic has to serve good food and have good service to survive because they depend on repeat business. This is less the case in areas with lots of tourist traffic - lots of first timers who depend more on the look of the menu and location of the restaurant. I am convinced that La Sauvagine would not survive outside of the the Old Port. The food portions are small. I tasted several main dishes, all were somewhat bland. Our waiter was the manager. He gave us the wrong menus and took forever to get us the bill. The soup was okay, but they'd have to better than that to justify the $200 price tag for the 4 of us (we didn't even order wine. Just lager on tap. Oh,and thirsty travelers should avoid this place. Glasses are small, and refills/re-orders are few and far between. Not worth your time.

2 Thank eatoutxpert