“The best sangria”
Review of La Sauvagine

La Sauvagine
Reserve with OpenTable
La Sauvagine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #658 of 6,173 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed August 8, 2014

A day in Old Montreal found us thirsting for something cold. We had the white sangria at La Sauvagine and wanted to order another pitcher :)
We sat on the patio which was covered so we got a break from the sun
Food: cannot rate the food as we did not eat
Atmosphere: quaint and relaxing
Servers: our waitress was very pleasant and helpful. We had questions and she made us feel at ease, like she had time to talk even though we could see she was busy.

This girl gives the Sangria at La Sauvagine a two thumbs up. I'd like to add more about the restaurant but we weren't there long enough for me to form an opinion

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We chose this restaurent while walking on Rue St. Paul to have dinner. WRONG! We had to wait about an hour after ordeing our meal. They brought us our drinks and a bread basket right after
taking our order, then completely abandoned us. Even after 45 minutes, when I asked our waiter how long it will take for our food to be ready, she disapeared and did not come back. Fifteen minutes later, I went in and asked for the manager. A young man, who larter turned out to be one of the waiters, was introduced to me as the manager. We finally got our food, which was only ok. The waiter who brought it didn't even bring us more water, let alone asking if we needed anything else. We decided to just finish our meal and leave. No exppanations, no apologies. It seemed they didn't care one way or another. I paid the bill, then went in to speak with the manager again, just to remind him they need to work on their service. This time the real manager showed up. I believe the first time the waiters were trying to cover up without letting him know. I must note that this guy was pleasant and listened to me carefully, although I needed to explain it twice to let him know that the problem was not so much that our order was delayed, but the fact that the servers didn't bother even checking on us, or explaining, or even apologising. In fact one of them was somewhat rude when delivering our food and bill. To his credit, the manager did apologise and offered to give us a glass of port to help with our digestion, which came too late. Besides, by that time we had lost interest in staying there any longer. A good restaurent needs more than just a good spot and good food; friendly and good service goes a long way. We are NOT going back there again.

3  Thank DocPhilip
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stopped at La Sauvagine on a beautiful July Saturday for a quick lunch and elected to sit outside on Rue Saint-Paul to people watch. My lady love had half a carafe of the house French white wine which she pronounced more than serviceable. We ordered two tapas and then shared an entrée of moules et frites (mussels and French fries). While the latter was a smaller portion than we expected, we walked away with full and happy tummies. I did not expect 4 start cuisine here, nor did we get it; what we did get was solid but not spectacular. I thought that the service and waits were fine, given the lunch rush. I would actually rate the restaurant between Average and Very Good.

1  Thank EastVillageDenizen
Reviewed July 22, 2014

A restaurant that relies largely on local traffic has to serve good food and have good service to survive because they depend on repeat business. This is less the case in areas with lots of tourist traffic - lots of first timers who depend more on the look of the menu and location of the restaurant. I am convinced that La Sauvagine would not survive outside of the the Old Port. The food portions are small. I tasted several main dishes, all were somewhat bland. Our waiter was the manager. He gave us the wrong menus and took forever to get us the bill. The soup was okay, but they'd have to better than that to justify the $200 price tag for the 4 of us (we didn't even order wine. Just lager on tap. Oh,and thirsty travelers should avoid this place. Glasses are small, and refills/re-orders are few and far between. Not worth your time.

3  Thank eatoutxpert
Reviewed July 15, 2014

This sidewalk cafe on St. Paul is a nice place to watch people, and the waiters and hostess are friendly. The French menu is supposed to offer traditional French specialties.

However, our meals were terrible. The food was bad. The bread was baguette-shaped, but the consistency of American hot-dog rolls, or wonder bread. The vegetable soup (specialty of the day) tasted like what you would get from a can, bland and insipid. The jarret d‘agneau was greasy, bad-tasting, and in some weird sauce, it tasted like Jack Daniel's barbecue sauce. The Duck was better, but still probably the worst confit and foie gras I have ever had.

This food was nothing like food, let alone French food. The restaurant should be ashamed to serve it. One of the worst meals I have ever had.

1  Thank cvn12