“Good spot to people watch”
Review of La Sauvagine

La Sauvagine
Reserve with OpenTable
La Sauvagine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #622 of 6,036 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Good food,decent wine list,very reasonably priced,excellent spot to dine and people watch.Mary was an excellent server.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

When friends ask me where to eat in Montréal, this restaurant in the heart of the historical district is in my top-3. Serving local wild carnivorous delicacies (elk, wild boar, deer, lamb, duck, etc.) using local flavors and produce (maple, blackberries, etc.), this Quécécois restaurant has a classic décor to match the rustic flavors. For those who generally shy from the gamy, musky flavor of less traditional meats, allow me to say that the delicate preparations in this restaurant mitigate that to delicious perfection - a Montréal must!

1  Thank Robert J H
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Old World charm in the Old Port of Montreal.
A perfect place to reunite with old friends: personal service, warm atmosphere on a cool April evening (it even snowed). We all ordered from the table d'hote. My choice: pea soup from fresh peas (not dried peas) - very rich and buttery tasting; lamb shank where the meat fell off the bone, the sauce was rich and heavy and the vegetables perfect. My wife had "confit de canard aux canneberges" (duck with cranberry sauce) and she described it as "moist, delicious, good flavour - fantastico!" It must have been pretty good.
There is no outside seating and we didn't notice a bar (suspect there is none) and can't tell you about reservations because we walked in off the street. Actually my wife got into a conversation with one of the charming gentlemen at the door and that drew us in for a meal.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was in Montreal in the midst of a Spring snow storm. While walking around in the snow in Old Montreal, I ran into this charming restaurant where the host proceeded to assist in brushing off some of the snow off my coat, and welcoming me to the restaurant. The atmosphere was very relaxing and cozy. The gentleman who took care of my table was very polite, knowlegeable about the menu, and made good recommendations. The wine list had a number of affordable wines. The onion soup was tasty and appropriate for the cold weather. The fillet mignon with Roquefort was perfectly cooked and tender. The service definitely worth going back, as of course, the great food. The food if not inexpensive, but it is affordable.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I've dined at La Sauvagine about 4 times now. Whenever I want to escape the rigors of NYC and don't have time for a long trip, spending a few days in Old Montreal recalibrates me. I haven't tried much beyond the duck made 3 ways, because I so love that dish! I have to have it every time I visit. My bf usually gets the lamb and had a porteguese style paella once which was very tasty. One day I'll try the wild game they serve. Wait staff has always been very ingratiating. No complaints. This little gem is always on my radar whenever I'm visiting Montreal.