“Decent food, rude service”
Review of La Maree

La Maree
Ranked #3,907 of 5,723 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Decent food, rude service”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Good location (if you get an outside seat) and the food is fairly reasonable. The service, however, from my particular waiter was dreadful. He got the starters wrong, got the mains wrong and got the bill wrong. He was also totally unapologetic. The only thing he was concerned about was getting his 15% tip which he told us was compulsory and which he inked in on the actual bill itself in huge letters telling us that we HAD to pay it. He was very rude and we will not be returning.

• Visited July 2012

dallas, tx
“Festive atmosphere, okay food”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The location of La Maree was very nice, on a festive street in the old port with live performers and many people walking by. We sat on the patio one evening and very much enjoyed the atmosphere.

The food however was just okay... similar to what you could get at Red Lobster. We ordered the seafood gratin appetizer and it had imitation crab and small shrimp and scallops. My husband had the seafood pasta, I had the sole meiuniere. It was good but nothing special or exciting. Another of our party had the walleye which was from local waters... again just okay. The best part of the meal was the bread basket, which had amazingly soft french bread with a nice crunchy exterior.

Visited June 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“La Maree, Jacques Cartier Square, Montreal”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We went in there when our tour bus took us to Jacques Cartier Square for a late lunch. We did not have much time. After we had ordered our meals, we realised that we had only 20 minutes left. The waiters were most accommodating. They brought out our meals of fried chicken wings, fish and chips and beer in quick time. We were very impressed by the service and meals.

• Visited June 2012
Tunapuna, Trinidad
“Not my best experience.”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I visited this place while on an adventure in Old Montreal. I went because I was hungry and it looked ok. I was wrong...

The view was scenic.. situated in the heart of Old Montreal but the bread which was served with the entrée was hard and one of the butter containers (there were 4) were empty upon arrival. The food took long to arrive after making the order and when it did arrive the quality was poor. The plates for the bread etc. was not cleared when the entrée arrived which lead to a very cluttered table such that there was little room for the entrée. Lastly the server never came back and asked "if everything was ok" we were just left to our own devices.

All in all the view is nice but I won't give this place a second look.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Francis083
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not La Marée from yesteryear”
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I know from good sources that La marée when visiting Montreal, that is not the case now. Today's La Marée is just another tourist trap restaurant in Place Jacques Cartier. The food is not bad and the price was fair for what you get, service is cordial, but I would not make a special trip to dine there.