“Choose wisely”

Maison Vip
Ranked #669 of 5,670 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Montreal
“Choose wisely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

Have avoided t his place because of rep as caucasion white tablecloth resto for suburbanites....BUT when we went the crowd was mostly oriental, a good sign. It is possible to wind up with very ordinary chow mein type experience, but with careful ordering from specialty and house specialties list one can dine well. Standoutd were crispy chicken (very duck-like), birds nest and salt-and-pepper dishes. Not the best, but still a good experience.

• Visited December 2011

Montreal
“Best chinese town in montreal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

The best chinese restaurant.
Try these for instant erection:
Ginger Lobster
Salt and pepper shrimps
Chinese vedgetables with beef
Breaded Shrimps
Won ton soup and egg rolls

Vancouver, Canada
“Gives a bad name even to Greasy but Tasty Chinese Food. I am Chinese, and am ashamed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

I was recommended highly by my 40 - year old caucasian friend who works and lives downtown. As I've tried some of the restaurants of other cuisines he's suggested, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I walked into a small but comfortable chinese restaurant filled with non-Asian diners and ordered their combo meal for two people (I'm Chinese, and was with another Asian friend).

The food was overly greasy, underseasoned, and overcooked. My beef spare rib seemed like it had sat in a fridge only to be reheated the next day, and the amount of chewing I had to do with this dish hurt my jaw. Next, I tried some of their fried chicken with sauce thinking that fried foods can't taste that bad. Boy, was I wrong. The chicken was so dry, I took two bites and ultimately stopped eating it.

At this point, my friend and I caught eachother's attention and broke into laughter. We had both been eating in silence hoping that with more chewing, the food would magically become more appetizing. However, this was by far my WORST experience of chinese food in Montreal. If we didn't laugh, I think we'd cry. Thinking back, I feel completely cheated by all the good reviews VIP seems to get.

I don't know what's going on but Chow Mein and Fried Rice is definitely not the ruler by which I measure Chinese restaurants. But honestly even if it is for you, go to Chinatown 2 (the area West of Concordia downtown campus). Over there, for a two block radius, you can easily walk smack into GOOD Chinese food, the best Dumplings in town, Real Chinese Mein (hand-made noodles!) as well as a fantastic little place with the best Coriander Lamb Skewers I've ever had. (And all of this is cheap $8.00 - $10.00 a person or less!)

With this, I have to say --- I heavily recommend anyone looking for good food at cheap prices and fresh ingredients to go to GOLDEN STONE (St. Mathieu and Maisonneuve).

Well, my trip to VIP was certainly an adventure, just not the kind I expected. I didn't expect the food to be fabulous, but I expected the food to at least be average. Average it was not... but I am glad of something... that I at least didn't have to bear the horror of it alone.

On another note, service is decent/good.

Still, I'll NEVER go back.

1 Thank Luxventurer
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good for late late night...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

good for late late night eating...

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“So many of my friends rave about this place but I don't see why.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

So many of my friends rave about this place but I don't see why.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook