“A tourist trap”

La Menara
Ranked #3,934 of 5,724 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Ottawa, Canada
“A tourist trap”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

You can find much better Morroccan food than here. Decor is interesting and has a bit of Morroccan feel but the food is horrible. The Couscous royal was extremely bland, the sausage dry, the lamb lanky and very dry. I think I counted 5 chick peas in my couscous. The vegetables were also tasteless. The couscous should be on the verge of very spicy and flavorful. The baklava was bad. I had a bite and left the rest. The food was way overpriced. The waiter - manager? was pushing menu items on you. It felt like they had many items on the menu but really only served a few. We were almost told what to eat. We had a $45 bottle of wine which, we found out was $12 at the SAQ. There is a real dishonest feel about this place. The service was rushed. We hadn't even finished our appetizer and the main meal was served.

The only good thing was the belly dancer, Samia. She was good and got the crowd involved but I would have preferred to see her dance more rather than have a bunch of restaurant goers try and bellydance.

Really not worth the money or the trip. Will never go again

• Visited August 2014

“Such a delight”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My friends and I had great food. I had to taste different flavours in my friends plates but what I liked the most was the couscous, miam

• Visited January 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Terrific ambiance, Delicious Foods!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

One of the best exotic places I have every been. The location of the restaurant is just off the hook, best place in Montreal - Old Port.
The ambiance, the music, the dancers - they just take you away! The Moroccan atmosphere with the decor, the pillows, the tea... You feel like you have traveled there for the night!

I have enjoyed every choice of food, desert and appetizer. Every drink we had with my friends was just extraordinary. So not only waiters, but the barmen deserve an A+ in their excellent work!

Visited December 2013
Montreal, Canada
“The Best Moroccan food in Montreal!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Absolutely adore this place! Everything is amazing about La Menara: the delicious Mediterranean food, the warm ambiance of the interior design, the service of the waiters that are super nice and the beautiful baladi dancing of course. If you are in Montreal, you should have some good supper at La Menara! Every time we come here we really enjoy our nights and the food.

• Visited November 2013
“Avoid it!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The quality of the food is worst than fast food. My husband ordered shrimp that he had to entirely clean by himself! There he was doing the cook's job peeling his shrimp that came complete with shells, legs, and even that gray vain in back, disgusting! I had "filet mignon" in a brochette that was practically uneatable... I left most of my plate untouched...

To make matters worst, we were a group of 10 all squeezed into a corner where we have to share two very small tables the size of a coffee tables... I know this may be tradition but I am not fond of eating on my lap as not only there was no place in the table it was also very uncomfortable.

The "attraction" of this place are the belly dancer's but is not worth the price or the effort. Not even a drunk group of bachelors would enjoy this place....

In sum, not only the food is terrible but this place qualify as a smelly, small, and uncomfortable underground den where you can't help to think that if for some reason you have to run for your life chances are you won't make it out.

• Visited September 2013