“Enjoyed the Variety”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We were part of a group that dined here. The Szechuan menu was very large with a lot of choices. Our host ordered several dishes for the table to share. We had spring rolls, dumpling in peanut sauce,sautéed shrimp in a spicy sauce, a sliced chicken dish with crispy spinach, crispy beef in a sticky sauce with sesame, sautéed green beans, eggplant with garlic sauce, and vegetables in a crispy birds nest, and rice. The waiter served a portion of each dish to every diner, then left the remaining on the table for everyone to share. The meal ended with the usual fortune cookies. The staff was attentive, the food was very good and we enjoyed our meal here.

There are newer reviews for Orchidee De Chine

Reviewed June 18, 2014

If you look at my profile, you will see that I love Asian, among others. There is no such thing as "Chinese food", just as there is no such thing as "Chinese language". Even more than France or India, the food and the language changes from province to province. L'Orchidee de Chine is eclectic. In northern China, the staple is pastry, usually from rice flour, so you see a lot of dumplings and what looks like thin pancakes etc. Go south, and the staple is rice. In Sichuan, they tend to use more garlic. Sorry folks, but fortune cookies are not Chinese, and Chop Suey was invented in San Francisco. Sate is from S.E. Asian French colonial days and is a corruption of the French "Saute", although it is nothing like Saute. Most of what passes for "Chinese Food" in the USA and even in Canada bears no relation to authentic Chinese food at all, and much of it in inedible, soaked in salt or sugar or fried in batter or swimming in sauce that never seems to change with the name. It is said that there are 8 basic varieties of Chinese food, from Shandong, Sichuan, Guangdong, Fujian, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Hunan and Anhui. But in reality, there is also Singapore and Taiwan. L'Orchidee de Chine offers a huge variety, not exactly the same as in China, because the produce there is quite different. But you will not find snake, scorpion, monkey brains or lotus in N.A.. Having said all that, the typical Chinese place in N.A. usually provides food-in-a-hurry, with a minimum of polite service. Not so at L'Orchidee, where the owners provide a clean, quiet, polite and odour free experience in 2 rooms. The food is cooked as well as any French resto. and is nicely plated at the table. I am told that the owners are from Singapore, if that is so, it explains a lot. Singaporians tend to be educated, polite and very savvy. You will find some stir-fry as in Canton (Guangdong, Guanzhou), but with just enough delicate sauce for flavour. Dumplings are delicious, and as an appetiser, I recommend their "Duck in pancake", a sort of mini-Beijing duck. Nice beer selection and good wines at reasonable prices. Lunch or dinner, you cannot go wrong here, a nice dining experience all round. Find it at 2017 Peel, on the East side, just above Blvd. de Maisoneuve. 个饱 Gè bǎo (Eat well, Pinyin-Mandarin).

Reviewed January 25, 2014

My friend and I ate here a few weeks go while visiting Montreal for the weekend. It was freezing that night and this place was around the corner and looked intriguing so we thought we'd check it out. We were greeted by the host as we walked in (we didn't have a reservation). As it was still relatively early they had space for us upstairs. After leaving our coats in the coat check area (we weren't sure if we had to or if it was optional and no one really said anything either way so we left them there and hoped for the best). Once we got upstairs we were seated in one of their many little booths along the perimeter of the room. The restaurant is a bit dated with 80s decor but the staff was very pleasant and attentive which is what matters more. There were so many tasty looking options so we asked who we thought was one of the managers to make some suggestions. He recommended what looked like some fairly standard recommendations (after taking a look at other tables); though he never told us the cost of any of the dishes he also didn't try to sell us on more than what we could eat. The food was great. We had a satay chicken with crispy spinach or lettuce (can't remember exactly but could have done without that part - the chicken on its own was very tasty and the spiciness was toned down a bit by request), seafood and veggies in a Phoenix nest and some steamed rice. The staff plates every serving for you ensuring that you get a bit of everything and that all the food is gone by the time dinner is over.

I must say I was a bit surprised when I saw the final bill of about $60 (tax and tip incl) for two entrees, a small bowl of steamer rice and jasmine tea (probably shouldn't have been given the prices in the menu). While the food was pretty good, I didn't think it was worth the inflated price. It was on par with most places in Montreal and Toronto Chinatowns (who would have charged less than half the price for what we ate) but it would not have stood up against some of the larger more established places and definitely not for the price (also probably cheaper on average than what we paid).

This restaurant is lovely, though it is a bit more upscale and seems to cater to tourists staying in the area and those who might be a little more intimidated going to Chinatown itself (this second one is totally speculation on my part but I was the only Asian person in a room packed full of patrons which is always a bit of a flag foe me especially in such a wonderfully diverse city as Montreal). What certainly helps with credibility is that the front of house and kitchen staff are all Chinese.

It's certainly worth a try because there are some unique items on the menu and the food is tasty, but I'm not sure it would be my go-to when I'm back in the city.

1  Thank bobcajun
Reviewed January 15, 2014

The food is great. The Service is a bitover he top and it`s close to everything. It did take 15 minutes at the end just to get a bill from the waiter- but still way worth it

Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel concierge sent us here. My boyfriend said we wanted good Chinese food. The concierge must have heard "overpriced" somewhere in our request. I won't deny the quality of our food was exceptional. However, as said by other reviewers you must order everything separately. Perhaps it's because I come from a small town without any fancy Chinese restaurants, but usually when we spend that much on Chinese food we have our meals for several days. Also, the person who served us had the manners of a goat. When we were finished eating, we payed with visa. He brought the electronic bank machine to the table, tore the receipt off, threw it at us and walked away. I do believe that was the owner.