“Good Chinese food outside Chinatown” 4 of 5 bubbles

Orchidee De Chine
Ranked #409 of 5,656 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Ottawa, Ontario
“Good Chinese food outside Chinatown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I ate here a few weeks go while visiting Montreal for the weekend. It was freezing that night and this place was around the corner and looked intriguing so we thought we'd check it out. We were greeted by the host as we walked in (we didn't have a reservation). As it was still relatively early they had space for us upstairs. After leaving our coats in the coat check area (we weren't sure if we had to or if it was optional and no one really said anything either way so we left them there and hoped for the best). Once we got upstairs we were seated in one of their many little booths along the perimeter of the room. The restaurant is a bit dated with 80s decor but the staff was very pleasant and attentive which is what matters more. There were so many tasty looking options so we asked who we thought was one of the managers to make some suggestions. He recommended what looked like some fairly standard recommendations (after taking a look at other tables); though he never told us the cost of any of the dishes he also didn't try to sell us on more than what we could eat. The food was great. We had a satay chicken with crispy spinach or lettuce (can't remember exactly but could have done without that part - the chicken on its own was very tasty and the spiciness was toned down a bit by request), seafood and veggies in a Phoenix nest and some steamed rice. The staff plates every serving for you ensuring that you get a bit of everything and that all the food is gone by the time dinner is over.

I must say I was a bit surprised when I saw the final bill of about $60 (tax and tip incl) for two entrees, a small bowl of steamer rice and jasmine tea (probably shouldn't have been given the prices in the menu). While the food was pretty good, I didn't think it was worth the inflated price. It was on par with most places in Montreal and Toronto Chinatowns (who would have charged less than half the price for what we ate) but it would not have stood up against some of the larger more established places and definitely not for the price (also probably cheaper on average than what we paid).

This restaurant is lovely, though it is a bit more upscale and seems to cater to tourists staying in the area and those who might be a little more intimidated going to Chinatown itself (this second one is totally speculation on my part but I was the only Asian person in a room packed full of patrons which is always a bit of a flag foe me especially in such a wonderfully diverse city as Montreal). What certainly helps with credibility is that the front of house and kitchen staff are all Chinese.

It's certainly worth a try because there are some unique items on the menu and the food is tasty, but I'm not sure it would be my go-to when I'm back in the city.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank bobcajun

South Royalton, Vermont
“Great Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

The food is great. The Service is a bitover he top and it`s close to everything. It did take 15 minutes at the end just to get a bill from the waiter- but still way worth it

Visited January 2014
Corner Brook, Canada
“Not what we were looking for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

The hotel concierge sent us here. My boyfriend said we wanted good Chinese food. The concierge must have heard "overpriced" somewhere in our request. I won't deny the quality of our food was exceptional. However, as said by other reviewers you must order everything separately. Perhaps it's because I come from a small town without any fancy Chinese restaurants, but usually when we spend that much on Chinese food we have our meals for several days. Also, the person who served us had the manners of a goat. When we were finished eating, we payed with visa. He brought the electronic bank machine to the table, tore the receipt off, threw it at us and walked away. I do believe that was the owner.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
“Great Szechuan restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Discreet Asian décor highlights this bustling and comfortable restaurant. There are plenty of delicious dishes on the menu; in fact, there's an extensive selection of classic Chinese fare and if you have a special request, they will gladly prepare it for you. The pleasant waitstaff is well-organized, so there always seems to be a waiter handy when you need something.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Steve R
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Best Chinese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Established in 1984, L’Orchidée de Chine has been hailed as one of the best Szechuan restaurants in Montreal.
I have eaten often at the Orchidee de Chine. For me, this is THE best chinese restaurant in Montréal. The owner, George Lau, is always present to ensure perfect service and solve any problem that could arise.

I started with some lobster in a bread basket, like a bird’s nest. This combined soft lobster with a crusty à côté and a delightful sauce, ginger and yellow chive. Magnificent. There was a Riesling grand cru with this to complement the dish.

This was followed by a duo of fish fillets with a crusty sea perch marinated in a miso sauce. A Chablis grand cru that gave a bit of power to this dish.

This continued and was ended with a chocolate dessert accompanied by a fantastic Sauterne.
A beautiful experience.

As always. Thanks George.

• Visited September 2013