“Traditional French”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stumbled across this restaurant by accident since there are a lot of restaurants in Montreal. We liked the look of the menu so we gave it a shot. I hadn't checked TripAdvisor yet. The inside of the restaurant is very well appointed, a truly wonderful place to be. You'll certainly feel like you are in Paris. While we were waiting for menus I pulled up TripAdvisor and I was like oh, oh...maybe a big mistake. As it turned out the fears were unfounded even though I was prepared for the worst given the reviews on here. I don't know what was going on during these other reviews but for us it was a simple meal out. The owner was pleasant, the wait staff was excellent and the food well prepared. Do keep in mind that you are paying for bottled water by the glass.

1  Thank T G

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was hestitant to go hear after reading all the bad reviews and regret ever going. This is the worst dinig experience I have ever had! First off, we are from out of town and had made reservations for a Sunday, which was conformed by the owner. Upon arrival, we find the restaurant closed. What a waste of time, cab fare, and so on this was, this should have been the second clue but we decided to come back on a Saturday a couple weeks later and give it another chance. The owner, or whoever the hell he is, is an absolute pig. He was not only rude to us but to his own staff as well. He will also do everything he can to suck ever penny out of you. We eat out a lot at fine dining restaurants all over the world so money is not really the issue. However, being decived and forced into paying for all the extras you didn't order is downright disgusting. We were drinking wine and not in need of water but they kept bringing water to the table totaling two bottles and an extra $30 on the bill. An 18% tip is automatically factored into the bill, which quite frankly, I find to be in bad taste. On top of that an extra $100 was added to the bill without explanation. When removed, the tip/taxes/fees/etc. were not adjusted. It came out to about an extra $27, which isn't a huge deal, but this factored in with the water, poor food, even poorer service, just illustrates this guy's desperation for every penny imaginable. Please, whatever you do, do NOT eat here. There are tons of wonderful restaurants in Montreal. Avoid this one at all costs.

5  Thank 789Traveller987
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Have been regular customers here for a few years and I have to say that we are never disappointed. The atmosphere is a total throw-back to another time – wonderfully ornate and genteel –( no paper tablecloths and wooden bistro tables here, thankfully) – which adds to the fine dining experience. Service is great, the owner takes an interest in letting customers know what he recommends that day and what is fresh. Food is classic French, with a good variety; try the escargots or the lamb shank – unbeatable. There’s a great bar to have a cocktail or two before heading in for dinner – always with a few interesting folks enjoying a libation and chitchat. An all-around pleasant and memorable dinner and evening out at very reasonable prices at a great location right in the heart of the downtown action.

1  Thank LindaL360
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I, being well versed in fine french dining,were eager to relax after a long journey with a delicious french dinner. We scanned the neighborhood on foot and had a good vibe with this place and decided to walk in and give it a try. We were seated immediately by a server despite no reservation. We noted we were a bit under-dressed but figured our passion for a delectable meal would make up for this. Indeed, particularly the server, the food and the ambiance were superb and we continually commented to each other on our good fortune to have picked this place. Meanwhile, we overheard the owner schmoozing with the next table of four, offering shots and commenting about reviews etc on trip advisor and my husband and I stated we owe this place a great review until, our bill arrived after two drinks each, two apps and two entrees totally $166, and after our shock, which was the $74 dollar liquor charge, we still felt like we enjoyed it so much that we would quickly get over it. Then, upon leaving, while still savoring our yummy meal and pleasure in the total experience, we left the "unbusy" establishment by walking an inch in front of the owner (near the doorway) whom could not even muster a "goodbye, thank you or come again...."! He blatantly ignored two extremely satisfied, grateful and eager to share the good review- customers for nothing short of rudeness and arrogance; since looking at other reviews here after the fact, this is clearly a pattern. Too bad, would recommend this place only at your own peril. Pick a night when owner is off.

1  Thank travsavvy
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Food and service by the waiters all good. The problem is the rude old man that walks around checking up on the clients and employees. And just being mean by his comments to his staff which the clients can over hear. But I do have to laugh when I read the other bad reviews ...only because it is all true!!! Every word... (Water charge We had them remove the $15.00 that was charged on our bill...told them it was tap water...meal prices good but desert prices are too high...14.50 for apple pie and ice cream !!! And 10.50 for a ball of sherbet . Desert prices are not on a menu. The waiter comes to tell you what is available and I guess most people don't ask " how much for a scoop of sherbet!!

Born and raised in Montreal