“Very good”

Ranked #142 of 5,890 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Afghani
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Description: The restaurant Khyber Pass proposes to you an unforgettable trip in Afghanistan. Typically decorated, this restaurant offers plentiful scented and aromatized traditional meals to you. The cook, a true Afghan mom, makes sure that the whole is never spiced too much! Dessert Entries, you will learn many things on the culture of Afghanistan because the waiters are in majority of Afghan origin. Even if Lamb is the specialty, the diversified menu has something to please you all. Come and discover a different cuisine which will surely charm you and let you be transported in a country which only waits to be discovered for its richness!
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The decor is not very nice but the food is really good. I love this restaurant! The food is very tasty but you have to like coriander.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Went here for a special occasion and I was completely blown away. The food was sooooo good and flavourful. The ambiance and atmosphere is warm, romantic and exotic. A very special place. Perfect for couples on a romantic date! They have a smaller room in the back with beautiful persian rugs hanging from the walls and banquettes. Definitely a place to go back to!

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I went there twice and really enjoyed it both times. The food was really nice and exotic. The meat was cooked on the bone, which made it a lot tastier. Some of my friends didn't enjoy that aspect of their meal and thought it was a bit pricey. I thought it was really good, and the atmosphere in the restaurant is really special; there are drapes on the ceilings and lots of little private tables.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We are always up to try something new, so my husband and I headed to the Kypher Pass restaurant in Montreal. My husband spent a couple of years in Afghanistan and is very familiar with the food, but I have never had the opportunity to sample this cuisine. I had no clue what to expect and wasn't sure if I would even like it. From the naan, the soup, the appetizer, the entree and the dessert, there wasn't one thing that I didn't absolutely love. Even the hot tea I was served was excellent. It has the most wonderful pleasant floral aroma.

We shared an order of sambossa, two crispy triangular pockets stuffed with ground beef, potatoes and leeks. We each gobbled one of these savory treats in no time. There were served with four distinctly different sauces...a yogurt, garlic, and herb based sauce, as well as a reddish sauce with a big kick to it. Sorry...I am not sure what they were, but there were good, good, good, and good. Both of our soups were excellent...I had the mashaba with ground beef and vegetables and my husband had the red lentil. Not a drop left. My husband's entree was the teka kabab which was a filet mignon kabab served with three types of aromatic basmati rice. He ate every bit of it. I had the sabzi chalaw...a fall apart, tender and juicy lamb shank coverered in spinach...huge and cooked to perfection and accompanied by the same three great variations of rice. I couldn't finish mine, it was just too much food. My husband pitched in and ate every last bit of that too. Both of us had a nice portion of an Afghan salad with cucumbers, tomato, onion, mint and fresh corriander. This was very fresh tasting and quite delicious. Dispite being full, I did manage to eat some dessert. Our meal ended with a thick and rich rose water pudding topped with crushed pistacios. The was sooooo good.

The staff were very attentive and extremely friendly. I felt more like family than a customer. They spent a lot of time talking to us and were very helpful in explaining all of the dishes to me. My husband speaks some Dari and when the staff found this out, many of them came to our table to talk to him. We even ended up with a couple of extra treats on our table that we didn't order.

Reservations are recommended. We walked in at 6pm and were able to get a seat, but our server was very honest with us and said that we needed to finish our dinner by 7:30pm because there were big groups of people coming at that time and the place was completely booked. Sure enough...around 7:20 or so lots of people came pouring in the doors and it was packed.

My husband says this food is the real deal. I'll have to take his word for it since I am not the expert here. He did say that the naan was not prepared in the way that he is used to, but that didn't seem to put a damper on his or my dining experience. We will definitely return whenever we visit Montreal.

3  Thank Michie1291
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Fabulous food and comfortable unique atmosphere! Try to get there early if driving, as parking is hard to find.