“Don’t leave it too late”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kaizen Sushi Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

Kaizen Sushi Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Olympic Park & Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
Cross street: Wood Ave
Transit: Metro Atwater
Montreal, Canada
“Don’t leave it too late”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We’ve had several sterling feeds at Kaizen, but the last, in March 2013, was less than forgettable. Had nighttime cravings, so thought we’d catch the nine-o-clock menu. But the senior staff must go home for the night, and they trot out the second stringers. The guy waiting on us first asked if we wanted water in addition to the tea we requested, and if so, with or without ice. Without, please – so it came with. Strike one. He also asked if we wanted utensils besides chopsticks. No, thanks. So he brings them. Strike two. Then he left the teapot so far away I almost strained a ligament trying to corral it. Strike three. One of us ordered rice as a side, and the other, quinoa or something. Our plates arrived with the sides reversed (his fault? the kitchen’s?) – easily fixed, of course, except not just them but everything else on the plates was cold as well. Back they go to the kitchen. Back they come to us, with everything on the right plate – but still no warmer than room temperature. When the check came (for $50-something ), I took out a $100 bill and the guy asks us – this seems to be a kneejerk thing among wait staff these days – whether I wanted change! (Incredibly, we ended up leaving a tip, that’s how conditioned we are; THEY should have paid US for the experience.)

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank rtimes2

Montreal, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have been to Kaizen several times and have never been disappointed. Try the calamari and the gioza appetizers, these are a must! The sushi melts in your mouth and is absolutely fresh!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Deena P
Stowe, Vermont
“Give me my tip!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I went to Montreal to celebrate our anniversary ...when we asked at the hotel about this place they totally recommended. The front desk call to make the reservation but the restaurant were close so we went to a different restaurant that night but we were curious about this amazing sushi restaurant that everyone talk about as a "really good place" next day we went April 2 our anniversary night , the host was nice and as soonest I said my name she said happy anniversary and bring us to the table that it was not set for 2 people it was set for 4....later on the server came over, I don't remember she mention her name so I don't really remember.... The food was good, the service was standard but it was anniversary so we were having and amazing time, then was time to pay the bill and it was cheaper that we were expected so we were ooh well more tip for the server...we paid with card so she came with the machine to the table to make the transaction as soonest she realized that I put " no tip add" because we were supposed to give her a tip in cash she just jump and said " it was any problem with the service?" So my answer was not?.. Feeling kind awkward and very uncomfortable, she left and my husband and I were just looking each other ... Then she came BACK to tell us again that the service was not included. I don't know what impression we gave her that she complete goes crazy over a tip that by the way before all this situation we were thinking to leave almost 25% or more But not she absolutely ruined our dinner and actually we left just 10 %.... I think it many ways to get a good tip of course asking rude about it it is not the way....

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank valejohn
Canada
“Mtl's best sushi restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

After having gone here a few times no other sushi restaurant seems to satisfy me anymore. The sushi is high quality and there are some really original rolls. A personal favourite of mine is the scallop truffle roll. Soooooo good!!. There are also tons of vegetable sushi options too which is fantastic for vegetarians and vegans. A lot of the sushi is made with brown organic rice and without the loads of sugar usually found in most sushi restaurants rice. They have incredible salads to start. I love the seasonal organic green salad which has Asian pear, mandarin, pumpkin seeds, mixed greens, quinoa croutons and fresh herbs. Their sugar free deserts are also amazing. I completely recommend this restaurant. It also has a full bar license so you can stop in for a 5a7!

• Visited January 2013
morin-heights
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This the restaurant where I went more often since the sushi is popular. I used to go to that restaurant when they where the other side of the street. Different today because that had so much change but this place still one of the best to eat sushi. Near the old Forum of Montréal, this is a most to go.