“They recognized me after 10 years of absence!”

Restaurant Jano Grillades
Ranked #337 of 5,668 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Guelph, Canada
“They recognized me after 10 years of absence!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I used to be a Jano's regular over 15 years ago when I lived in Montreal. Yesterday as I am in Montreal to visit family I invited my sister and her daughters for lunch at Jano. The minute i walked into the place, the owners who haven't seen me for some 10 years, recognized me.

I felt special and was amazed they could recognize me after all this time!

The food was amazing as usual, the friendly atmosphere and the value for money makes Jano a place not to miss in Montreal!

I wish there was more Jano's around the world!

Takaka
“My Favorite Montreal Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have been going to Jano for close to 15 years and take all visiting family and friends to this place. Diners start coming in right from opening hours to closing. The half chicken meal is a favorite with perfectly grilled and spiced chicken always fork tender and finger licking delicious. I had my first home-made potato chips at Jano and am now addicted. All meals come with house salad with homemade dressing and fresh Portuguese bread. Carlos, the owner, always has a smile and generous offering for regular customers - of which there are many. Many of the servers have been working there for over 20 years. I love this place.

Visited December 2012
“Delicious food, good staff!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I ate here with a couple friends for a friend's birthday. It took a while for our waitor to take our order, and for the food to arrive, but the food was delicious! A lot of the waitors are more francophone, so I needed to translate for some of my more anglophone friends. I shared the $40 selection of 5 meats and the portion was good (comes with fries and salad). I ordered the portuguese tiramisu for my friend's birthday as a surprise, and when I received my bill it wasn't on. I asked the waitor that he had forgotten, and he let me know that he covered it. The night was a very enjoyable one, from their homemade sangria, to the different kinds of meats, to the friendly staff.

• Visited November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Best Portuguese chicken”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I know it's just chicken but this was the best grilled chicken I have had in years-- and I am a food tourist. As in, I travel with gastronomy in mind (forget museums, you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Where's the main market in this town? lol). Wonderful flavour, golden crisp skin, just absolutely delicious. Nando's does not come close to this magnificent chicken. The place itself has a basic casual charm, good for a group or a date. And the staff Portuguese spoke Spanish, which my Colombian wife and her friends thought was nice. We had some prawns and excellent grilled sardines for starters, along with a litre of their easy-to-drink house red wine...which went down too easy, frankly, giving everyone a nice warm glow. They have all sorts of grilled meats too, even quail and rabbit. Overall, a great casual Portuguese restaurant. My only complaint was no bacalhau on the menu (the staff said they used to have it but not enough people in Canada know about bacalhau).

• Visited July 2012
essex
“Great food and great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Always go here every year when we visit Montreal. The service is excellent with a special mention again to Nelson. Piri piri chicken excellent and only $16 for half a chicken with very good home made fries and salad. Make sure if your a table of 4 or more you call ahead to make a reservation.

• Visited June 2012