“A perfect way to spend an evening in Montreal”
Review of Fonduementale - CLOSED

Fonduementale
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We recently dined at Fonduementale for the second time as we visited Montreal to take our son back to college. The first time we sat inside with a large group and this time we had a smaller group and ate outdoors. Both options are charming. We have enjoyed, with both visits, the opportunity to enjoy a leisurely meal while also enjoying the delicious food. This is a restaurant and an evening's "entertainment" wrapped into one.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We have made a regular habit of stopping by fondue mentale when visiting montreal for about the past six years. My personal favorite is the cheese fondue with pink peppercorns but we also really like the traditional beef fondue. And we LOVE the chocolate and maple syrup dessert fondues.

When are daughter was younger, we very much appreciated the children's menu and the welcoming attitude the restaurant has towards children.

The terrace behind the restaurant is lovely in the summer time.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I wanted to like this restaurant SO BADLY. I had dreamed of going for years. I finally got a deal to have a meal for half-off so I went with my husband for a 3 course fondue meal.

The cheese fondue WAS amazing. Delicious, delicious, delicious. The bread was perfect. Also, the wine we were recommended was exactly what I love, so I was very happy about that. I had heard that the salad was often soggy from oil and that sadly was the case, I couldn't finish it (and I love salad)

The main meal, with the meat & seafood in the broth with the dipping sauces, was not the culinary event I was hoping for. It just felt something was lacking. The potato was not 'mentale' as promised, quite dull for a $5 potato half.

The chocolate fondue dessert seemed lacking as well. The chocolate was good, but there was a very scarce amount of fruit.

If I had paid full price I would not have been happy. I would return for the cheese fondue, but not the rest of the meal. The atmosphere seemed empty too, some music for ambiance would have helped.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I've only ever eaten fondue in this restaurant once before and it was such a memorable experience that we went home and made all of our friends try it. It is a very leisurely way to eat. The cheese with rose peppercorns that we started with was superb, the meat and fish in broth wonderful and the chocolate and maple sauce were fantastic.
My only complaint is that the chairs on the terrace are really not up to the standard of the rest of the place - they grow uncomfortable after a while.
I highly recommend that you try this place and begin a romance with fondue like I did!

1  Thank VLP
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We went to this place about 10 years ago and it was number one on our list to go do again, now that we came back to Montreal. And it did not disappoint. We went for the Tsunami set menu, with cocktails, wine beer and port (and somehow managed to stagger home). If you like slow eating, fondue or tapas-like approaches to your food, then this is for you. It tastes great, the cocktails are amazing, the choices of local beers is small, but PERFECTLY formed and the service friendly. We sat out on the terrace at the back and given the ambient temperature, we were probably very sensible to do so. Fondue isn't the most common cuisine going, so go and give it a try. LOVE this place.