“Terrible Customer Service”
Review of Carlos and Pepe's

Carlos and Pepe's
Reserve with OpenTable
Carlos and Pepe's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,157 of 6,004 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: between Ste Catherine and Maisonneuve
Reviewed December 10, 2013

They really need to hold a Customer Service 101 Training Seminar for the staff. The positives the atmosphere was fine (as it was the weekend) It stops there. Our waiter really needs to find a new profession. For starters, it took him over 10 minutes to take our order. He was ignoring other tables in our section and paying attention to one table only on a fairly busy weekend night. Hoping for that big tip. At one point, I had to ask another staff member if someone would be over shortly or we were going to leave. The food was just alright. I have had much better in my hometown. Couldn't exit the place fast enough after eating. Keep looking for other options if you are considering stopping here.

5  Thank TM8888

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very friendly waitress ... Only good thing i could say. My rice was cold and the plate was served with a thimblefull of guacamole. The cheese, chicken, everything tasted highly salty. Even 12 hours later I felt overwhelmed by a salty taste in my mouth. My conclusions remain, almost impossible to find quality Mexican food in Montreal.

2  Thank BillfromMontreal
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Overall...the food was good, the atmosphere was okay, and the service was friendly. I was with a big party and they were very accommodating. The restaurant was not very crowded at all.

The food...was really good.

The service...very friendly

The drinks...we had the sangria which was really good

Bottom line...I would go back again

1  Thank willres
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Tonight I went to Carlos and Pepe's for my anniversary dinner with my fiancé.

First they refused to give us complimentary nachos because we were speaking in English when we entered. (My fiancé is anglophone, and I don't mind speaking in English to make things convenient for him.)

Secondly, my daiquiri was 90% ice chunks. The rum was just splashed on the top of it-- like some sort of adult snow cone. But not as good as one might expect. My fiancé's Mango Martini was 90% mango. Tasted like rubbing alcohol in mango juice.

Our portions were disappointingly small, and were rushed out of the kitchen within ten minutes of being ordered (despite them being busy). And we were made to eat fast, too. It tasted decent, though, but was not worth the price we paid. Heck, the cheese wasn't even melted in my quessedilla, and the cheese sauce on his enchilada appeared to be made with Kraft singles. I swear it was reminiscent of frozen food nuked in a microwave.

Our tiny little salads had more dressing to them than salad. And they never brought out our refried beans.

My fiancé had a chunk of sharp wood or some other hard vegetation in his rice that stabbed him in the roof of the mouth, causing him great pain. He called over the waiter to complain, and the waiter took the splinter or whatever it was and went to throw it out. They did nothing about it. Not even an apology or a glass of water to help rinse out the wound.
Which reminds me:

Our water was never refilled despite our asking, either.

Finally I started speaking to the waiter in French and he was suddenly super kind to me. My fiancé tried to speak in French to get the same treatment, but his accent betrayed him. He remained ignored. I was given the bill despite the waiter seeing me give my share of the money for dinner to my date to pay before the bill arrived.

I still tipped the waiter but wish I hadn't.

Did I mention we were there for less than thirty minutes? We were so rushed it ended up taking about as long as a trip to Taco Bell would-- only it cost about five times the price! All in all, I don't think I will be going back there any time soon.

3  Thank ChelseyGJ
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've had mexican food before, and i know it can get messy, but it was already messy when i received the plate. The place wasn't busy, but the service wasn't that fast.
i'll just walk on by next time

2  Thank roby16