“Vietnamese Cuisine in the Heart of Downtown Montreal”
Review of Cafe Saigon

Cafe Saigon
Ranked #334 of 5,948 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I dine here ounce in March 2013. I ordered a Viet dish and nems. I asked for Vietnamese nems, i.e. fried Viet rolls, but was served Chinese ones. I used to work and live in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. So I can distinguish between the Vietnamese nems and the Chinese rolls. But the main dish was very good and served in appreciable and generous quantity. I brought my own wine as it was allowed there. The cuisine was good but not spectacular though. Many people come here to dine.

Unfortunately, this restaurant accepts cash only, not debit or credit card. I suspect that they run a bank machine business on the premisses. You can get cash from their ATM bank machine by paying a fee. This practice is not fair to their customers.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I've been going to Cafe Saigon for about 12 years now and never thought about writing a review. So here's one that I hope will help my favorite restaurant of all time. I've toured the menu so many times that it's hard to say what is my favorite dish but here's one thing I can tell, each dish feels homemade. The ingredients and spices feel and taste fresh. The attention to presentation and details are spot on. Don't be fooled by the location and the outside look, this is a hidden palace of wonders. For the quality, I am forced to say that the price is dirt cheap. Ever wondered what a real homemade Vietnamese curry would taste like? - try it!

Bring your own Wine and enjoy authentic Asian cuisine at it's finest.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Although it is in a basement location, the atmosphere is very pleasant. When other places in the area are empty, this place is often crowded.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

A real gem, a cash only resteraunt with a constant flow of people.
Fantastic food, the Pad Thi to DIE for such amazing depths of flavour and so cheap.
Hubby had chow mien which was also sub stantiel. Nice entrees and BYO everything.
Walked passed the place as its tucked away, please do yourself a flavour ! I mean favour it was amazing and were AU hard to please. Noisy and dingy but who cares if the food is awesome

Reviewed April 21, 2012

The great food, attentive staff, reasonable prices and BYOB policy make the restaurant a winner. Good choice for a restaurant near the Olympia theatre for dinner before the show.

From the exterior it may not seem like much and the interior is a bit somber, but do not let that deter you. I was a little concerned as I had chosen the restaurant for the four of us (two couples). However, as we started eating, the concerns went away.

We loved the crispy curry beef (we ordered twice), Peanut butter dumplings (fried and steamed), spring rolls are large, and soups are quite good.

We were all stuffed when we left the restaurant and this made a nice start of the evening before the show.

2  Thank Dennis_M99_MTL