“Passable food, a bit overpriced”
Review of Boris Bistro

Boris Bistro
Ranked #123 of 5,976 Restaurants in Montreal
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had dinner on a weekday, we had no reservation but since it was only half full, we had no trouble finding a good table. Service was a bit on the slow side and despite an indication that we wanted our dishes to be served as they were ready, all arrived at the same time.
We went for the "tapas" option, where the menu main courses are served in a smaller size, and we ordered two of those each. While the risotto was actually very good, the seared tuna portion was ridiculously small, overcooked and dry.
Wines were average, and expensive, as usual in Quebec. I had a Californian zinfandel that was at least decent.

1  Thank rro2005MAD

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have a very upscale friend who seems to know all the best places to eat. So when she invited me to join her for lunch – I asked her to pick the place. She always finds a place I never even knew existed – that’s what makes joining her so much fun. Plus it’s always nice to be brought up-to-date with what’s happening in her life.

But on to the restaurant review!

Bistro Boris is located spitting distance from Square Victoria – in what looks like a tiny space off an office tower. The room is small – I mean seriously small. But they have a huge terrace – which would be a great place to sit if there wasn’t about 4 feet of snow on top of everything. Maybe a revisit in the spring is in order?

Fortunately – my friend had called ahead and made reservations – without which I’m not sure they would have had room. The menu is simple – A selection of entrées – with the lunch special being that for $3 more than the cost of the entrée you get either a soup or a salad, a coffee or latte, and dessert. Diet thrown to the wind – I opted for the entire meal, choosing for my entrée a selection called – Tuna Boris. This turned out to be a huge piece of perfect tuna – lightly seared on the sides, but raw in the center. It was served on a selection of roasted veggies (very sparse on the veggies – but beautiful), 2 wonderful sweet potato crisps, and a perfect sauce below. The result was so lovely – I took a picture. I never take pictures of food – so you get the idea. Those are beets on the side – like the rest of the veggies – perfectly roasted and not the least bit greasy.

Tasted great too. My friend was less thrilled – she ordered something described as a ‘salad’ – but there was no salad (ie: greens) component. Instead it was served on a bed of simply sliced cucumbers. Easily remedies – she opted to add the $3 ‘table d’hote’ – and got her salad fix that way.

Dessert was simple – tiny scoop of perfect pistachio ice cream and a tiny pastry. Latte (decafe of course) was also perfect.

And I love their website with it’s ‘doggy’ illustrations and lovely pictures. Didn’t look like that when I was there of course – it’s Montreal, It’s February – no terrace is happening – but you get the general idea. It would be beautiful.

Definitely a place to remember – particularly if someone else is treating.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

They have a neat garden in the summer with lots of shade in a closed in space - not on the street which makes it very popular. The food is not very good and after my last meal there won't go back. The veg pâté tasted weird!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Friends recommended us this restaurant in Vieux Montreal. It was Friday evening so we made a reservation that seems to not be necessary. The restaurant is modern, nice, and clean. The food was great. We had the fois gras that was delicious and the fillet mignon. The red wine, called Cahors des Escures was excellent, however expensive. The service was good; the waitress knew to explain the dishes and to make recommendations. At the hotel we saw that we have been charged with a “crème brule” that we didn’t order or receive…but everybody can make mistakes.
Overall we had a very pleasant evening accompanied by gourmet food and musky wine.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Excellent place for the business lunch, food was delicious. I ask my fish to be serving with the vegetables, thank you Chef for beautiful presentation. . Highly recommend