“Best Thai food in the Village”
Review of Bato Thai

Bato Thai
Ranked #978 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: The Village (Gay Village)
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This restaurant has been a village staple for several decades and has an expansive Thai menu with all of the usual items. Several things stand out among my many visits to this fine restaurant. Any of the lemongrass based soups are wonderful, especially if you ask them to "pepper it Thai hot." The broth is wonderfully tangy and the extra pepper is an great contrast. The rice paper rolls (not fried) are wonderful, particularly the Thai peanut dipping sauce. My favorite entree here is one I have found in no other Thai restaurant: it involves the meat/seafood of your choice (I prefer calamari), stir fried vegetables, that wonderful Thai peanut sauce (mentioned above) and then flash fried spinach. The spinach is crispy but incredibly flavorful especially when it is blended with a bit of that peanut sauce. I have been ordering this dish since the mid 90s when I started visiting Montreal and I look forward to eating it every time I visit.

1  Thank Gary P

Reviewed October 31, 2011

The food here is spiced to your preference and they never make a mistake. The servers actually seem to care about their customers and are attentive to just the right point. The mix of ages and types of people is great - you never know who you will see but it will always be a stylish and comfortable place to be.

1  Thank djwgilroy
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The restaurant was busy on the Sunday evening we visited but I believe it was severely understaffed. The atmosphere was casual and relax, and the first impression was the service would be slow. There was outdoor seating but it was full so we sat inside. Luckily we were not in a hurry and it took at least 15 minutes before our order were taken. and at least another 25 minutes for the meals to arrive. I had the chicken in red curry and my friends had chicken with peanut sauce. I rated my meal as average as I have experienced authentic Thai cooking in Thailand and many parts of Asia, as well as knowing how to cook the dish. My expectation was biased as I had high hope it would be fairly authentic. However, my friends were very happy with their meals. In spite of the slow service, we enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

We have been going to Bato Thai for at least a year, once every month. The food is always exceptional. I especially like the #2 combo with soup or spring roll, peanut chicken and Thai ice cream and tea/coffee for dessert.

My suggestion is that the restaurant get its service in order. It has always been slow and inattentive since we have been going there, but we go there for the food. Today, the service turned from bad to atrocious: no hostess to handle people coming in, slow to table service, slow food delivery and clueless order taking. The service was a mess.

We're going to hold off on going to Bato Thai anymore until we hear that the service gets better.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Stopped in for lunch. Good flavor, decent price, huge portions. For English speaking visitors, the staff is bilingual and welcoming. I would definitely eat here again.

1  Thank beautifulsouth