“Beyond our expectations!”

L'Auberge Saint-Gabriel
Reserve with OpenTable
L'Auberge Saint-Gabriel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #147 of 5,852 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Bar, Grill, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Vieux-Montreal (Old Montreal)
Cross street: Saint-Paul
Transit: Metro Place d'Armes Metro Champs-de-Mars Station Bixit sur la rue Le Royer
Description: Premiere auberge d’Amerique du Nord et premier debit de boisson legal au pays, l’Auberge Saint-Gabriel a deja abrite l’imprimerie du journal Le Patriote et meme un poste de traite de fourrures avant de devenir un des hauts lieux de la gastronomie quebecoise et l’une des destinations les plus tendances de la vie nocturne montrealaise. Pour un verre sur la terrasse ou a l’un des bars intimes, un repas dans l’opulente salle a manger ou un evenement prive dans l’un des somptueux halls, l’Auberge est la complice de toutes les meilleures soirees depuis plus de 300 ans. Acquise en 1987 par la famille Bolay, l’Auberge Saint-Gabriel a conquis ses lettres de noblesse. Ses nouveaux proprietaires, Marc Bolay, Garou et Guy Laliberte, en ont fait un vrai joyau, transformant ce temoin du passe en une incarnation resolument moderne a coups de clins d’œil ludiques sur l’histoire. La cure de rajeunissement de l’Auberge est l’œuvre de Bruno Braen (Rufus Rockhead, Club Chasse et Peche, Big in Japan). Braen, qui sans pretention s’amuse avec l’iconographie de l’histoire du Quebec, rend hommage au patrimoine sans faire d’entorse a la legerete. Un reel tour de force! La carte de l’Auberge est confiee a Emilie Rizzetto, une chef creative et dynamique dont la reputation n’est plus a faire. D’origine francaise, Emilie a travaille dans la region de Saint-Emilion jusqu’a ce qu’elle emigre au Quebec, ou elle participe a l’edition 2012 de la populaire emission de television Les chefs! Sa brigade de sept cuisiniers et de trois patissiers accorde une place preponderante aux produits regionaux. Le menu fait la part belle aux savoureux plats de viandes et de poissons cuits a la broche dans la spectaculaire rotissoire, qui se trouve en pleine salle a manger. Difficile de faire plus convivial et chaleureux! Envie de prolonger la soiree? Descendez au Velvet, un univers parallele au sous-sol de l’Auberge. Longez le grand couloir de pierres uniquement eclaire par des cierges et engouffrez-vous dans la fumee opaque qui encercle la piste de danse du club le plus branche de Montreal. Explorez la carte de cocktails completement eclatee et decouvrez les meilleurs DJ. Au Velvet, tout est permis. On s’etonne meme de devoir quitter l’endroit a 3h du matin…
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was exactly the kind of experience we were looking for when we had dinner here for my husband's birthday. I chose this restaurant based on the reviews and we were more than thrilled.

I made reservations because we were visiting from Boston and coming in on a Friday night. The patio was full of diners but the inside only had a few tables full at the time. We were seated by the window and were greeted moments later by the friendly and helpful sommelier. Our waiter was also very personable and friendly. We probably received more attention this night because the restaurant was only about half full, but I would hope that it would be the same on a very busy night. The personalized service really made the meal extra special.

I had the lamb shoulder and my husband had the Chateaubriand. Both were cooked perfectly. We enjoyed the beef tartare for an appetizer and had a unique cherry and vanilla ice cream dessert that our waiter recommended. To top it all off, we received a packaged brownie with the check to enjoy the next day.

We will definitely be back the next time we visit and will likely enjoy a drink in the lounge in addition to dinner.

There are newer reviews for L'Auberge Saint-Gabriel

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Foodie heaven. Excellent food, great portions, amazing atmosphere of stone history meets contemporary art. Presentation was spectacular and well worth the price. I went with a friend, but it would be a perfect romantic date or special occasion splurge. Highly recommended.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Having first eaten here 40 years ago, and several times since then, it seemed fitting to eat here to celebrate our 40th. The atmosphere of the old building is supberb as always. The food has never been better--they must have a new chef and the high quality of the food shows. The wait staff and hostess greeted us as we celebrated this milestone anniversary, both with comments and special food delights. The food is exceptional, a must-visit.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This was my favorite restaurant that I went to in Montreal. The ambiance of the restaurant is sort of like a rustic cave, since the walls are made of stone, but I really liked it. Don't be put off by the strange decor in the lobby area (large 'spine' of vertebrae going up to the ceiling, and flickering gas fireplaces). Now to the food- it really was excellent- every course was expertly presented and the portions were just right. First they give you a small butcher-block cutting board of 3 different types of house-made bread (I should think that it's house-made). Then they gave us a cold pea puree soup in a little shot glass. Although it was small, it had a lot of flavor. For main course I had the fish special which was halibut, and my boyfriend had the lamb shoulder. Both dishes were again, fabulously presented, portions were not too large, and everything tasted excellent. It truly was a luxurious dining experience because the food tickled your palate and the presentation caught your eye. I couldn't help but look at the other dishes and desserts as they got served to other tables. The service was also top quality to match the food. All-in-all a great dining experience and I would definitely return!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Went for dinner with my wife at the end of May. We were welcomed warmly at the door and loved the decor & ambience of the place. Our servers asked us if we spoke French or English and upon seating our server, a very elegant lady, learned that my wife spoke a little French and I only English and made sure to tell the staff to explain every dish in both French and English! We started off with bread and a pre-app of chorizo wrapped in croissant-like bread, and the appetizers were small in size (I'm from NYC) but absolutely delicious! We had the scallops and beet salad for starters, which were both heavenly! For main course we had the chateau briand, but before the steak came out were were served with a soup with chunks of beef - sort of a pre-entree! The steak was tender and perfectly cooked! For dessert we ordered a white chocolate and passion fruit concoction! To top it off the staff gave us the most delicious brownie to take home! All this with a superb bottle of wine and in 7 Canadian trips the Auberge has definitely become my best dining experience in Canada!!