“Fabulous Food”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This bistro, long a staple of the Montreal scene has returned after fire kept it closed for ayear. It has returned with a menu and series of dishes to rival any of Montreal!
'S many eateries.
On a cold January evening we stopped by and were delighted by the attentive good humoured staff as plate after plate of delicious bistro fare was delivered at table.
The restaurant is now BYOB which is wonderful

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Good food, nice small restaurant, you can bring your wine. Very reasonable price. The service is always efficient. There is a small terrace in the summer. I recommend

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This small bistro is about a 10 minute stroll from the Marriott Residence Inn where we were staying. On a Friday night it was doing a booming business; we were lucky to get a table since we didn't make reservations. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. As some of the previous reviewers mentioned, they don't serve alcohol but they recommended a grocery store around the corner where you can get a bottle of wine.
Their menu is made up of a varied table d'hote selection as well as a choice of a la carte items; such as steak, lamb, cod, sweetbreads and chicken. My braised lamb shank was wonderfully tender and came with a great assortment of grilled veggies and mashed potatoes. Hub's rib steak was cooked to his liking and the frites were crispy and light. The dessert list is not lengthy but what they served was very tasty. Hubby had the pear tarte which was flakey with a creamy custard filling and my creme brulee was very generous with the perfect crunchy crust.
The Bistro is not a fancy restaurant, but it's a great spot to have a lovely French meal without breaking the bank.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

After our first full day, we asked our concierge for a quiet French cafe with a good menu and reservations were made. Our expectations were high after looking at the menu and we were allowed to bring in our own wine. Good looking room, open kitchen at rear of room. Good service. I like sweetbreads and my wife ordered duck. I must not have paid close enough attention to the preparations on the sweetbreads - large portion - as they were served covered in a thick mushroom gravy. I ate a small portion and quit. In addition, I should have checked if they were calf sweetbreads too. Some restaurants subsitute lamb sweetbreads but given the hotel's recommendation, I highly doubt it. My wife's duck was medium rare but very tough, almost in-edible. She loves domestic and I wild duck but this must have been an old bird. We mentioned this to the waiter who asked if we would like a dessert on the house. We declined and left. We had planned to revisit the restaurant the following night but opted for the Liverpool House which was superior. Very fairly priced menu. Again, good service. We and the restaurant unfortunately had an off night.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Had just returned from a long day trip to Quebec city and our hotel recommended Au Bistro Gourmet which was a two minute walk away. We didn't know it was a bring your own wine/beer place until we were seated, but the store just down the road helped out and the waiting staff treated our purchases as if they had supplied them. We arrived late but were made to feel very welcome and the service was excellent, as was the food. We had the set menu which included soup/salad and we left very happy with the whole package.