“Excellent service at Senzala!”
Review of Senzala - CLOSED

Senzala
Cuisines: Brazilian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My family of four just came back from our dining experience at Senzala. When we arrived at the restaurant, a warm fireplace welcomed us as we passed the glass doors. As soon as we were seated at our table, our waiter asked us if we wanted to order any drinks. We politely refused and then he proceeded to explain the menu.
I was very surprised as to how attentive our waiter was to our needs. From the bad reviews I read and the long waits described, I was expecting to spend four hours at the restaurant. So I reserved for 6pm, knowing that the show only starts at 8pm. By 7:15pm we had finished our main dish and my teenagers were already enjoying their dessert. I told my son to savor his coffee so that we can stretch our stay to at least see the show and dance. At 8:30pm two exotic female dancers with colorful feathers in their hair entered the dining room and danced to our heart's delight! It was almost 9pm when we left but only because we wanted to see the Samba dance--we all agreed that it was worth the wait.
As for the food, it was our first exposure to Brazilian food. You have three choices:
1) Soup or salad + main dish for 30$
2) 1 Entree + main dish for 35$
3) Amuse-gueule + 1 Entree + 1 Sorbet + main dish + dessert and coffee for 45$
My 17 year old chose Zoro as her main dish. She had no clue what it was but for a teenager, it sounded right. She wasn't disappointed. According to her, it was lamb that melted in your mouth. I had the Feijoada, the Brazilian national food; it was okay but it was nothing to rave about. My husband had some kind of sea bass which he thoroughly enjoyed while my (unadventurous) son ordered ravioli. The kids had the chocolate mousse for dessert and that was the highlight of their culinary experience. As for us parents, we left the restaurant feeling satisfied to have spent a lovely evening with our children, happy to have witnessed the wonderful Brazilian show and felt happy that we were treated with respect and that the waiting staff were attentive and very helpful.
To close this review, I think it only fair to mention our waiter's name--JF (Jean-Francois). After all, he is the inspiration for the title of this review.

Date of visit to Senzala Montreal: February 16, 2013

There are newer reviews for Senzala

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Brazilian Fusion left me with Diners Confusion. Very trendy, cold, harsh atmosphere. Warm friendly servers. Long wait times between courses. Great dishes when they arrived. Too much time waiting ... and waiting. 4 of the 8 people around us where on cell phones. Great toilet facilities - very techno. I had the Feijoada which was described as the National Dish of Brazil. There was a few pieces of beef and sausage in a crock filled with black beans. A scoop of excellent yellow rice. A small heap of very tasty collards el dente and a green coloured cauliflower (crisp but cold by the time it arrived.) The bread was light with a crunchy crust. My wife had the Chicken Mole which I tasted and found to be tender and full of flavour. The calamari I had for an appetizer was very lightly battered and excellent. At $118.42 plus the mandatory 15% tip this experience did not deliver value. There are many far better restaurants in Montreal for a far better dining experience. Too bad considering that the food was good.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went Saturday Feb 9, 2013 at this restaurant on l'Acadie thinking we would have a great time, with the Brazilian show and the nice atmosphere, unfortunately, we were greatly disappointed. First, the service was really slow...it took them 30 minutes to bring us 2 cups of coffee. The only way we were able to get the waiter's attention was by doing "milk cup's castles" on the table. We had to shout to hear ourselves speak (even when there was no music) and we had to check our bill twice, because they added a 15% tip on our bill even if we were only 2 people at the table (and they are supposed to do it only for tables of 6 or more). The food is ok, but too pricey for what it is. In the soup of the day, I almost choked on 3 pieces of chicken bone!!!! Even though it was supposed to be a vegetable (butternut) soup!

I would not recommend this restaurant to anybody. I think it is not worth your money.

1  Thank MSAC45
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went on a Saturday night which has a table d'hote menu (we checked online so we new but the table beside us didn't) you have 3 choices on a Saturday (3 for 30, 3 for 35 or 6 for 45). We choose the 3 for 35 because it included the entree where as the 3 for 30 gave you a choice of soup or salad before your main meal. We shared the guacamole and a plate of calamari it was good but the calamari we've had better. For our main meals I had the chicken curry and my boyfriend had the meat platter (can't remember what it's called) - both dishes were very good. There were two dancers who danced for about 10 minutes while we were there. The place was nice and busy. I found it a little pricey for the size of our meals. We had a coupon and it still cost quite a bit of money but that being said overall we had a nice time.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

The service was excellent, free parking, the food was exquisite starting from the appetizer up to the dessert. An excellent evening out - the price was right for the quality, we've paid more elsewhere.