“HEAVEN'S BEST RESTAURANT”
Review of Europea

Europea
Reserve with OpenTable
Europea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 5,944 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: Sainte Catherine
Transit: Metro Peel on the green line
Description: Restaurant Europea has become an essential spot on Montreal scene, a gastronomic "rendez-vous" rich in colour and flavour. Flattered by all the gourmet critics, you will share an outstanding experience offered by the creative and modern cuisine of Chef Jerome ferrer and his 22 chefs team. (named chef of the year, restaurant of the year, "maitre cuisinier de France" An unforgetable moment in a charming Victorian mansion in the heart of downtown Montreal ...When the cuisine becomes an art!
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Stopped at this restaurant on a Wednesday night for thanking a friend for taking me to emergency that afternoon and waiting to take me home. The hostess was very accommodating, made sure we had a good table even with no reservations. The restaurant is surprisingly big; our table was on the second floor and it's divided in smaller rooms with a maximum of 5 tables per room; the decor is simple and beautiful, the atmosphere very relaxing and the staff is warm and attentive. At first, I couldn't understand a word our server was saying, it's really been too long since I've been to France! Our server brought us so many wonderful appetizers that we worried we wouldn't be able to eat our meal. Everything was delicious, they even served us 3 different types of butter. Our own appetizers arrived, I had the foie gras ... I still salivate at remembering the splendid flavour; my friend had the scallops, equally scrumptious; by this time, I'm understanding the server as well as our wine specialist and they are just so warm and helpful, they enhance our splendid experience so far. For the main course, my friend chose the fish, I had the veal and again, the dishes were so delicious, we just kept eating and rolling our eyes, tasting a bit from each other's plate; it's so great to eat with a friend who doesn't mind sharing. We then had cheese to finish our beautiful Merlot wine bottle, again, out of this world; then came the pre-desserts! Had never heard of this but maybe it should become a tradition!!! Little bites of sweets arriving on a platter decorated with what looks like a tree with cotton candy in the branches! After the pre-desserts, my friend didn't have room for anything else but I did! Had a delicious very small pastry (can't remember what it was now but it was also wonderful), my friend remembers having a small chocolate pastry. We finished with Expresso Decaf (yep, have to do that now!). We chatted a bit with our server and he recommended a few names of cheese since I so enjoyed the cheese they served. We left around 11:00pm, totally satisfied but not feeling so full. Our server gave each one of us a nicely wrapped maple meringue to take home. This is the best restaurant I've been to in Montreal. I have gone to a lot of restaurants but this one has it all: superb food, beautiful decor, excellent service, warm ambiance. Will be going again to this very special restaurant with perfect food, perfect wine and perfect service.

Jean T, Restaurant Manager at Europea, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear ELLET919,

Thank you so much to have try our restaurant last June. I am satisfied that we were able to find you a table for you and your friend for this special day. Thank you for the detailed description of your experience.

Looking forward to serving you again soon,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,542)

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We didn't have the tasting menu, only ordering an appetizer and main course. The fois gras on hot stone was as good as I've had in Michelin restaurants, and the langustine appetizer was also excellent. My wife said that her 3 scallops were delicious, but I found that my pieces of veal cheeks were in a sauce that was hard to digest. We also were given a complementary Xmas tree-like dessert.
More importantly, the tables on the top floor were too cramped, and the floor under my feet vibrated as the staff scurried back and forth--an annoying effect. They scurried because every diner was also given about 10 other small items ranging from jerky beef to an excellent lobster carpaccio. The problem here is that you never really knew what you were eating (the chef was on site and showing off) and both my wife and I spent a bad night afterwards.
The best example of the pursuit of presentation occurred with a tiny piece of smoked salmon. We each were given a closed cigar box, which when opened gave off copious amounts of smoke, which cleared after a few seconds exposing the salmon in a corner ..
To close, I had a glass of Chateauneuf de Pape which was far from great, and my tea was served luke-warm and sent back. A good restaurant doesn't normally charge for its mistakes, but this one did. Our meal, including a bottle of water, a glass of wine each, tea, tip, and tax, was over $250.

2  Thank MaxDKO
Reviewed June 3, 2014

A decent lunch, but not spectacular and although the staff were fawning the service actually delivered was OK. I went close to 10 minutes at one point without water.
I had a chicken dish that was fine but not any better than many in Montreal. My companion's fish (sea bass) was also fine, also not spectacular.
There appears to be far too much emphasis on extras, and I would be more impressed by really making what I ordered memorable.
We were given a goat cheese appetizer on a stick that was ok, a carmelized proccutio that was too tough to chew, seasoned but stale popcorn, a cauliflower soup in an expresso cup to drink, a small box of home-made Madeline's in a carry-out box (I was there on business, who wants a carry-out box...), and a small pile of red cotton candy, all not ordered. Apparently, many people like that but I would have been much happier with a better main dish and perhaps a gentle sherbet for the palate.
The choice of dessert was various mousses in a two-shot glass. Fine, but perhaps I would have liked a cake, who knows.
All in all, not the best that Montreal has to offer.

3  Thank jeanlf
Jean T, Restaurant Manager at Europea, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear jeanlf,

Thank you for visiting us on the lunch time and for your constructive comment. I'm sorry than we left your water glass empty for about 10 minutes. This is not acceptable! For the box of home-made Madeleine's we have so many business man who love to take it back for their kids or for coworkers.

Sincerely Yours,

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Europea is not a restaurant, it is a sensorial experience.

As soon as you walk through the front doors you a greated by a kind and warm staff that caters to your every needs. They do not judge and treat you as equals even if its clear you get to eat in a place like this once every five years.

Throughout the meal, the service, food and presentations made me smile, surprised me, made me feel amazed and every bite I took was so perfect I almost cried a little. It was an amazing experience well worth the price that I would strongly recommend to anyone.

Dear Priscilla M,

Thank you, thank you and thank you for your visit in February 2014 and especially for the comment you did write on Tripadvisor. It's so important to see how you describe your emotion

We look forward to serving you again,

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was there for diner with my husband and children for our wedding anniversary. We would not normally bring Young children (7 & 12) like ours to such a long diner (2 and half hours) but it was so entertaining by all the courses coming with beautiful présentations that it didn't feel long at all.
We all loved the présentations, the quality of the food, the service, everything is perfect and especially the price is so reasonable for that level of restaurant. We have travelled the world and eaten in many of Alain Ducasse's, Daniel Boulud, Joel Robuchon and El Bulli restaurant and Europea has nothing to envy from those restaurants!

Jean T, Restaurant Manager at Europea, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Nathalie 1810,

Thank you very much for your last visit in May 2014. We are very happy than you had a great time with your family for a moment so important, your Wedding Anniversary.

Best Regards,