“So authentically Japanese - it hurts!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Azuma

Azuma
Ranked #1,099 of 5,682 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Reservations, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Monteal, Quebec
“So authentically Japanese - it hurts!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I love going to the theatre at the Bain St. Michel - but it's not my favorite location. Why? Because it's a long walk from the nearest metro stop. Not the best reason to get upset about a location - but older lady - icy streets - long walk... You get the pictures.

But despite that issue - I'm often going to the Bain St. Michel - and thus I have tried lots of the restaurants within easy striking distance of the Bain - and by that I mean the least walking possible. One of my favorites is the Azuma.

I've been there often enough to be greeted - if not by name - then by favorite table and the acknowledgement that I'm going to the Theatre. And the recognition is not surprising - the Azuma is very clearly 'in the family'. The sushi chef stands proudly behind his counter - and the waitress, hostess, and assistant cook (all rolled into one smiling young lady) is clearly a relative (I'm betting wife - but I've never gotten up the courage to ask). As far as I can tell - that's it for employees - Just the two of them - running the restaurant, making and serving the food, and doing the dishes. It's so Japanese, so traditional, so 'family' - it hurts!

They always bring us a pot of tea (free) and a tiny appetizer of beans with peanut sauce (free). Since we're budget dinners - my friend and I order 2 or 3 different sushi dishes to keep to our under $15 including tip budget - eat and run to the waitress's cheery good-bye.

Particularly good is their version of the Kamakaze roll, and I'm a fan of their spicy tuna as well. But they make the short list because of their location - and the friendly demeanor. It doesn't hurt that the seats are comfy, the room warm and cozy - and not overly noisy. The bathroom is nice and clean as well - never underestimate the importance of a clean bathroom on St. Laurent.

Bottom line - going to the Bain St. Michel for a play? Want to eat for under $15 per person. The Azuma has you covered.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank thesouplady-two

Montreal, Quebec
“#1 Sushi in Montreal. Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

This sushi restaurant will not wow you with it's decor nor service.

But if you want to taste the best and more importantly freshest sushi in Montreal, you need to visit Azuma.

My wife and i have been visiting this restaurant for close to 15 years... the fish is always beautifully prepared and i've never found another sushi restaurant (in my travels in Canada, except for Hiro Sushi in Toronto) that come close to the quality Azuma produces.

We usually try to order a bottle of hot Sake to accompany our meals.

This restaurant is a solid monthly stop for us.

It's completely off the beaten path for tourists and the exterior of the resto is so nondescript locals probably hesitate to try it.

but once you see the presentation (what you expect sushi to look like, not that junk produced by untrained sushi chef wannabe hacks out there) - you'll be hooked.

just don't expect to pay fastfood prices as this is truly an art and the chef is skilled.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank enjoyLIFE40
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Very good and constant quality.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

Very good and constant quality.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“as good as any other good sushi place, paid cash & wasn`t charged tx! Nowadays only go to $20 all you can eat sushi...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2007

as good as any other good sushi place, paid cash & wasn`t charged tx! Nowadays only go to $20 all you can eat sushi places.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook