“Glad we went”

Au Pied de Cochon
Ranked #54 of 5,678 Restaurants in Montreal
Cuisines: French, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Glad we went”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were fortunate to get a Saturday night reservation at Au Pied de Cochon, and had a very nice dining experience. As many have noted, it is a small space, loud, and packed tight. The real downside to the meal for me was having to fight for at least some space with an aggressive diner seated behind me.

As for the food, it was excellent, though very heavy. I started with the onion soup, which I thought was actually better than the version at the Parisian namesake. My wife had the charcuterie plate, which she kindly let me graze from, and that was great as well. We decided to forgo the requisite foie gras, as we had enjoyed it elsewhere the night before, and we knew the dinner was going to be rich enough. For main courses, I had the PDC pork chop, which I thought was tasty, but unfortunately slightly overcooked. My wife, on the other hand, went for the boudin noir tart, which she absolutely LOVED so much that we dragged the leftovers back to the US with us the following day. We also shared the poutine, but I think if we were to go back, we'd avoid it, and just go with the duck fat fries.

Overall, I'm glad we went, and I'm happy to recommend the restaurant to friends.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Alexandria, Virginia
“Bring your appetite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Everything we had was delicous, and the chef is clearly unapologetic about serving extremely rich food. I don't usually like heavy food, but everything was so flavorful that it still seemed balanced. The atmosphere was boisterous and convivial. Will definitely return on our next trip to Montreal.

1 Thank asaxtron
Steinbach, Canada
“One of Canada's best restaurants”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I dined here the day after dining at Joe Beef, so I was able to compare the two famous restaurants quite well. I had made a reservation for two, but my friend was unable to make it, so instead of giving up the reservation, I dined alone, and sat at the bar. There is no sign outside, but it should be pretty obvious and not hard to find if you have the address. In many ways Joe Beef and APDC are similar with the focus on rich delicious and elevated versions of simple food. It's not really haute cuisine in that sense, and the atmosphere is more casual than a white-table-cloth type place. It's also louder, more fast paced, and more fun. I ordered, perhaps, what everyone orders their first time here, which was the foie gras poutine (half size), the tomato tartlette (better than expected), and the Duck in the Can. The poutine is fabulous - some of the best in Montreal, and they use good quality foie gras, not the junk stuff I experienced of the infamous foie gras hot dog at Hot Doug's in Chicago. The duck in the can was simultaneously one of the most disgusting (presentation-wise) and fabulous things I've ever eaten. I also don't know if I've had such a rich dish. Immediatedly afterwards I wasn't sure I could ever eat one again..but now a week later I'm craving it. It's a pretty creative and incredible combination of flavours. Overall, if you can only get a reservation at one or the other, I would give a bit of an edge to Joe Beef, but I highly recommend both.

• Visited July 2013
NY, NY
“Sensational Feast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

The food is just the beginning of the experience. From the fois gras poutine to the duck in a can each bite will be a sensory overload of decadence. The room is boisterous with an infectious energy. Top notch staff are knowledgable and properly suggestive.

Montreal
“For Duck Lovers!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Please note this is the review of their FOOD TRUCK and NOT the restaurant.

Been to the restaurant once before and I have to admit they almost had to rolled me out the door (too much food and all very good) but the food truck is just fine. Portions are good and the price is right.
They offer fois gras poutine, duck in maple bbq sauce, pork and tongue sandwiches etc. and some banana donuts (I didn't care much for their sweet menu). If you see this truck on the street or a fair go for it. The only bad side is that it is so popular that you have to do a long line to have your order taken.

1 Thank NessyBear