“A Relaxing Fine Dining Experience on St. Denis Street”
Review of Au Cinquieme Peche - CLOSED

Au Cinquieme Peche
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Le Plateau Mont-Royal
Reviewed March 21, 2013

After hearing about "Au Cinquième Péché" restaurant/bistro on Radio Canada's program "L'Épicerie", we were very interested in trying their much-talked-about sweetbreads (ris de veau). On a Tuesday evening, during a recent snow storm, we arrived at the restaurant, located in the half-above-ground basement of a building which is only a few steps away from the corner of St. Denis Street and Mont-Royal Avenue. The warm, cozy atmosphere, together with the hospitable welcome given by a charming waiter (Renauld) immediately made us feel at home.

I must tell you now that our dining experience exceeded our expectations. We both ordered appetizers which were creative and tasty, and for the main dish, the sweetbreads which were heavenly. Our waiter was very helpful in suggesting wine for both our main courses and later desserts which were to die for.

If you're looking for a quite place to dine with your significant other, do try "Au Cinquième Péché" during the week, because the weekend atmosphere (Thursdays to Saturdays) is a lot less quite like most eateries on the Plateau.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Beautiful atmosphere - down a few stairs into a small restaurant with rough hewn stone walls. The waiter appeared immediately and cheerfully took our coats and hung them in the back. For starters we had gravlax, onion soup with prosciutto chips (wonderfully crisp!) and veal tongue with a cooked egg. They were all beautifully presented as well as very tasty. Main courses - skirt steak, sweet potato gnocchi, and seared scallops. Again, everything looked and tasted great. Dessert was rice pudding and squash cake(similar to carrot cake). Not too sweet and just right portion sizes.
The service was attentive and cheerful. The menu is posted on slate boards hung on the wall, but our waiter went over every choice thoroughly. Our water glasses were never empty. One of our party is a vegetarian and the restaurant was quite accommodating. All in all, this is one of the best meals I have had in Montreal.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was very much looking forward to my dining experience at ACP. I had been a number of times when the restaurant first opened years back and remember being WOWed by the experience then, to the point that I still remember what I had for dinner. This experience lacked that WOW factor. The food was definitely good (except for the gnocchi which was cold and lacked flavor) and the service was excellent, but I left there feeling a little disappointed.

1  Thank MightyMouse76
Reviewed October 16, 2012

After failing to get into two other restaurants with no reservation on a Saturday night (we are optimists!) we ended up at Cinquieme Peche. The location is fairly unremarkable - a lower level unit on St Denis street, with a feeling of a wine cave. The menu however was really unusual - there was seal, sweetbreads, bison and guineafowl on the menu... not for the faint hearted! I had their version of "poutine" which was made with sweet potato gnocchi and seal (yes, seal!) sausage. It was lovely - the sausage just tasted like regular sausage to be honest, but that was fine. My friend had the foie gras mousse which was nice, though quite a mild taste. Then I had bison (with pork belly and blood sausage gnocchi), and she had guinefowl - both great. Finally we ordered the cheesecake dessert with figs but accidentally got chocolate cake... so they just gave us both :)
Overall, pretty good, especially if you're in the mood to try something new!

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our entire experience at "The Fifth Sin" was fantastic. The wait staff was attentive, quick, and very knowledgeable of the menus. Great recommendations. The food was gorgeously presented and tasted.