All reviews underground shopping mall rent rooms the nearest metro station power outlets two double beds flat screen tv place des arts a great place to stay each morning visiting montreal saq toiletries
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the McGill New Residence Hall. The first time was OK so I booked it again becuase of its great location and availability of on site parking (for additional fee). But ther were a number of surprises. Surprise #1: As we were arriving, we saw that the sidewalk in front of the building was taped off and that several big blocks were shattered on it. With the gaping whole in the facade on one of the higher floors, it was an unpleasent feeling that you could be killed by falling debris when getting into the residence. The facade was crumbling - luckily nobody was injured or killed. Surprise #2: Rooms are renovated, nice and spacious, but bathrooms are not. They look old, they are worn out e.g. taps that are ao old that are really hard to use. Surprise #3: The most annoying part was wifi or the lack of it. On check in I received a one page document with detailed instructions on how to connect to the wireless. To my surprise the instruction was only for computers and not for hand held devices. In the evening I went to the reception for help and the receptionist was busy. She kindly asked me to come in 15 minutes and she told me that she would help me set up the wifi on my tablet. It was after ten so I decided to do it in the morning before I needed access to the internet. When I went in the morining to ask for help, the receptionist was not helpful and not willing to help. She was upset with her colleague who wanted to help me the night before, as she raised my expectations that I would get help instead of directing me to the phone number in the instructions where I was suposed to seek assistance. She also told me that my Samsung tablet was the problem, because all guests with Samsung tablets had the problem!? So the management of the hotel knew that the connectopion did not work for guests with Samsung devices but did not want to do anything about it, obviously. It was a big surprise for me that in Canadian hotel I could not connect to wifi, while I did it in many low and middle income countries and simpler hotels without any problems. Surprise #4: I was surprised how unhelpful was the receptionist.

Although I like the location and parking, I am not sure that I would stay in the McGill New Residence Hall again. It is not good value for money.

Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Jenanna28062012
Reviewed July 8, 2018

We stayed in a double room with a private washroom at the New Residence Hall recently and highly recommend it to everyone. Stepping into the room, we could not believe it was a college dorm. It looked like a regular hotel room with big windows and a flat screen TV plus plenty of space. It was very quiet and we did not hear anyone around us. Breakfast was great w/ scrambled eggs, potato, sausage or ham, pastries, cereal, etc. We enjoyed it very much and appreciated that breakfast was served until 10 am for people who like to sleep in a bit.

The location is close to all the tourist attractions so we walked around on foot. Public transportation is available but we did not feel that we needed any.

The people at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The only thing we were a little disappointed at was that we found one of the light bulbs broken and called the front desk. Someone came very quickly to check it out but never returned w/ a new bulb. Still we enjoyed our stay there.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2018

(Note: This is my second time staying at this hotel. My first time was in June 2014 for a genealogy conference. The rooms were the same at that time but breakfast wasn't included and front desk staff were not friendly. There have been positive changes made since then.)

I stayed here the May long weekend (2018) for a genealogy conference. I had a double room with two double beds. The room was spacious and clean. There was a mini fridge and two desks with chairs. The room overlooked the Stadium (Stade Mémorial Percival-Moison) and Croix du Mont Royal. Air conditioning worked and was easy to control. Breakfast was included (buffet style with eggs, sausages, fruit and croissants offered plus tea/coffee and juice.)

Check in and out was quick and easy. Staff were pleasant and accommodating. I was able to leave my bags with them after checking out.

Although there are signs of wear and tear and vending and ice machines are not available (at least they're not where they say they are) I found the accommodations to be very comfortable, safe and clean.

The conference was held in conference rooms on the lower level. The rooms were spacious, clean, and the air conditioning worked very well.

There was a water bottle refill station on the main floor near the parking garage elevator and one on the lower level (C).

The hotel is connected to an underground shopping mall which can be accessed through the parking garage elevator.

I recommend this hotel.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed June 16, 2018

We received excellent service and enjoyed a delicious full breakfast. Staff were very helpful. Rooms were clean and well appointed. Decor is a bit dated but clean and comfortable. Would highly recommend for school groups. Great location, bus parking is very limited.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2017

My friends and I stayed here from August 3-7 for the Osheaga music festival because it was one of the accommodations that you can book through the festival. I stayed there 4 years ago for the same festival and had a good experience so we decided to use it again.
The rooms were clean and okay. The location was great. But the service was absolutely awful. I have never experienced anything like that at any hotel that I have stayed in (I travel quite a bit). One front desk receptionist, an older woman with glasses and brown hair in particular was very cold and unapproachable. Asking for extra cups seemed like the biggest inconvenience to her.
The worst part was upon check-out they had no luggage storage available as "it was full". Check out was at 11:00 am and our flight was at 6:30pm. You would think that a hotel that is associated with the festival that ended the night before our check out would be prepared for extra luggage storage as most people would be leaving on the 7th. The worst part was how rude the same receptionist was about the situation. She would not try to even find more space for more luggage or help us find any other alternative. She did not seem to care at all that we would be stuck with our luggage.
How does a hotel not have enough room for people to store all their luggage? Many people checking out after us also asked for luggage storage and were also just shut down.
We ended up walking to other hotels and asking if they could store our luggage for a few hours as we were desperate. They were all disgusted with how the receptionist at the McGill New Residence Hall behaved and could not believe that they did not have any more room for storing luggage.Thankfully, we found a hotel that stored our luggage so we wouldn't be stuck in the lobby all day babysitting our luggage all day.
McGIll New Residence Hall really needs to improve their customer service and be prepared for when they have a busy weekend. They should not offer their accommodations through the festival if they can not offer proper customer service.

Date of stay: August 2017