“Location is everything”

Hotel & Suite Place des Arts
Ranked #119 of 144 Montreal B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This old home on Sherbrooke is in a fantastic location at a very low price. Our unit had a separate bedroom and a living room with a bed, couch and a kitchen . It was spacious. That said there were many questionable characters roaming the hotel. They looked down and out but they did not bother us although we heard people coming and going up the staircase at 3 a.m. If you do not intimidate easily you should be ok. Mrs. Wang, the owner, was helpful with directions and a character. We probably would stay there again. Do not expect the amenities of the Queen Elizabeth but more like the YMCA and you should be fine.

Room Tip: If you want to save money and be in the middle of all the action, this may be for you.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 6, 2014

If i can give it a zero star, i would give it to this hotel. Don't go by the pics from this hotel.
The bath room/restroom is dirty. Rooms smell bad, People smoking all over the corridor. I even smell people smoking pot.
Never ever go this place and if you are with family then don't even think about it.Rooms are old and dirty. Overall experience was bad.
People were shouting at midnight. Even i heard the owner was abusing someone at around midnight.
Drunken people coming and knocking on the door so many times at middle of the night. Shady

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 26, 2014

and I've stayed in a lot of cheap places. This really takes the cake. Like a boarding house with local "residents". As soon as you walk into the place, the stench of cigarettes practically knocks you down. That, along with I don't know what other smells, makes the air feel toxic. The other "residents" were up most of the night fighting or partying very loudly. I practically feared for my life. Seriously. The "free" parking is in a very sketchy ally behind the building, and with the manager said such things like, "Make sure you lock your car. Don't have any belongings showing in the windows. They could be smashed in for no reason around here." This did not make me feel good at all. One of the first things I did after a short walk to dinner, was make a reservation at another hotel down the road.
I am appalled at any booking agency would even show this place. I will be asking for my money back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elyse802
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Good location but the worst hotel in Montreal I think. Very old, noisy, dirty, smelly ...
We didn't sleep at all, We heard noises: people talking and yealing in the stairs all night ( we were there on a saturday night ).
We didn't take a shower because the bathroom was so dirty.
We had to sleep with the window open because of the cigarette smell.
Cheap stay but not worth it !!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Louise B
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The location of Place des Arts is excellent for looking around the little shops and great restaurants in Montreal. Very convenient parking and breakfast was okay. We walked to Old Montreal port and back and it was awesome to see all the quaint shops and leave our car in one place. not the newest of places but good for the price.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Evelyn M
Reviewed July 25, 2013

3 girlfriends and I stayed here during our 4 night trip to Montreal. The location was perfect, we walked everywhere! The only place we had to taxi was to and from the airport. Walking distance to all the main shopping and the Village is just around the corner. We even walked to Mont Royal Parc and Old Montreal/Old Port. It is in the heart of downtown so there are some interesting people hanging around sometimes but it's really not as bad as some the reviews have said! The hotel itself was very clean and well kept, the staff was very nice and spoke perfect English(as do most in Montreal.) The breakfast could've been a bit better but overall nothing to complain about.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Breeannmac
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Where do I start? I LOVE hotel place des arts. Part of me doesn't even want to write this review since I feel if you're reading this you will probably book my room and force me to stay elsewhere or not go to Montreal. I feel like hotel place des arts is my little Montreal secret.... But out of respect for my fellow travelers here is my down to heart honest review:

If you are looking for a chain hotel that gives you affinity point s and a 1-800 number this isn't it. This place is a hotel for mellow people and travelers / backpackers.

Ms.Wong runs the show at this hotel and she has very stringent hygiene standards. The room is clean and spacious. Keep in mind the linen / towels are not as "fresh" as a chain hotel but the actual hotel is spic and span. I challenge you to find a dust bunny, seriously. Ms.Wong does an excellent job of making sure when you arrive the room is clean and ready for you. She provides things like paper towels in the kitchen along side cutlery, plates and awesome wifi (more on the wifi reviews later)

Why do I stay here? Her rates are reasonable, she only charges 3.5% tax which must be the legal minimum as the big hotels are upwards of 10-15%

What you have to ask yourself is do you want a room/cell with 2 beds and a bathroom (aka chain hotel) or do you want to tell people "you rent an apartment in Montreal?" I tell people when I go to Montreal I rent a small apartment. That's what hotel place des arts is, a place you call home.

This type of hotel is not suitable for a business traveler that values things like 24 hour dry cleaning / mini bar / room service. However if you are a traveler or backpacker who doesn't like shared room hostels this is the place for you. Hostels in Montreal are about $35-$40 a night for a dorm. 3 people fit in her suites without sharing beds. that works out to something like $40 tax in per person. I've stayed here 8 times and never has the price been marked up due to jazz festival or Canadian long weekend.

It's basically hostel dorm pricing with privacy and FREE PARKING, the parking is an easy $15-22 per day value. Hotel place des arts = Privacy, excellent value.

The fact that they have small kitchen and fridge (think beer fridge) really tops this place off. Frankly the food in Montreal is so amazing you should never eat at home, but if you're on a budget just go to st.viateur bagel and toast them up at the hotel. There is a major grocery store across the street. A 24hr convenience store 1 block away as well as a bixi station (quick bike rentals perfect for tourists). Catching a cab outside is never an issue and cabs will find the hotel no problem.

Regarding the wifi, I was at this hotel in feb 2013 and in july 2013 (current review) when I visited again Ms.Wong added a new wifi network (which is free by the way, most hotels charge $20 a day!) And it was super fast. For the techy folk I was able to VPN to work and put in a full day of work with zero interruptions, and the apps I use are strictly online. Staying at major hotels my VPN session is often interrupted or so bad I can't work.

I think I've said enough, this place is cool. Some of the rooms have a balcony, which if you smoke is a godsend and something you won't find in 90% of hotels in Montreal.

Take my word for it, give place des arts a go.

Best of luck tripadvisor.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends