“Good Hotel for the price”
Review of Hotel Villa

Hotel Villa
Ranked #124 of 164 Hotels in Montreal
Burlington, Vermont
“Good Hotel for the price”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel and found the experience to be very nice. It is affordable and (you need to ask for one) you can have your own bathroom w/ shower. It was $69.00 for one night, which is very affordable.

It is in the Red Light District of Monteal (St. Catherine street) so you are going to see your share of various people. Let me tell from first hand experience, no one is waiting outside this hotel with handguns or waving knifes at you. Yes, even at 3am when I returned almost every night.

People, listen, there are good parts and bad parts of every city. With nightclubs and strip joints very close to this hotel, what would you expect to find? How ever you answer that is what is probably going to be the case. I will give you younger people some advice, mind your p's and q's (Your own business if you don't get that.) and you will be just fine. If you obnoxious after drinking or like to make comments at people you don't know, then you may just find trouble. So keep your comments to yourself until you are home or safe in yoru hotel room.

Seriously, it is a nice hotel, the person working behind the counter (Van) was very nice and we chatted the few days I was there. I would go back in a minute (and Van, I am coming back in the summer.) and it is safe.

People, listen up, it is not 1950 and you need to be careful where ever you go. Use your head, stay away from trouble and you will be just fine. However, if you want to be very secure, you can go to a Holiday Inn or Quality Inn (a little further away) and "Lot" more expensive, say to the tune of $200 a night.

Now, I don't know about you, but for me, I am not going to pay $200 a night for a hotel I will be in mainly to sleep and shower while vacationing! If you are a single person on a trip or a couple looking to save money, this is the hotel for you. If you want a room with a bathroom and shower, make sure you ask for one when you are making a reservation.

I hear people complaining about them not getting this or that when they reserve something and usually it's because they weren't paying attention to what was included with the reservation. Hope you find this useful.

P.S. I just want to clarify something. Canadians do not hate Americans. They hate obnoxious people, like Americans do as well. Actually, in the stores and places I went, the staff was friendlier to me there than in my own country. Yeah, that would be the United States!

Oh, and if you are traveling by bus, prepare to get off of it at the border, be polite and follow instructions (Have the proper documentation, Passport, Passcard or Enhanced Driver's License. (You need to go to Montpelier if you live in Vermont, and get this. The enhanced license that is. As of June 2009 your old driver's license and birth certificate will not do. Do not be stupid and find this out as you get to the border! ) and you will be just fine. Be rude, and you can expect to not get through or go to one of the rooms they have at the border station made for those kind of people. For the record, the Amercan side, coming back in, is where they can be rude. Be ready for it. Way different than if you are just driving through with your own vehicle. They will actually go through your bags, which is fine, but for me it was the way they did this that bothered me. Totally not called for. Other than that, the trip was great!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank KATCANUS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Ontario
Reviewed July 13, 2009

While staying here for the Montreal Jazz festival, I found this hotel, which is quite in the middle of the festival, to be very clean and our room was quiet despite many music events happening outside in the streets and being located next door to a popular event venue, The Metropolis. It was literally steps to the festival and the concert next door that I was there to attend. Winnie, the new & current owner, pays attention to the needs and requests of the guests and all staff keep a keen eye out for the safety and comfort those staying in the hotel. The hotel has a security entrance which only allows for guests to be allowed entry to the hotel and there are cameras on each floor to further monitor the safety of the patrons. Our room, recently remodelled, had 2 double beds, mini fridge, tv, a/c and a bathroom you could put a queen size bed in! Very good for a couple of girls!! There are options to get rooms which share a common bathroom, and having viewed the common bathroom, would see this as a great option of lowering the cost of your stay. The housekeeping staff provide excellent care to the rooms and are very friendly. This is a perfect, affordable hotel to stay in if you wish to be in the heart of Montreal and close to a wide variety of entertaining and cultural things to do. Winnie's welcome of us each time returning to the hotel, after wandering about the streets, made it feel like we had come home. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2009
2 Thank izjustagirl
Ottawa
Reviewed September 1, 2008

I booked this hotel last minute. Being a student, I was looking for convenience and affordability. While this hotel fit both descriptions, I was horrified to realize that I felt neither safe nor comfortable in this hotel. Across the street weas the entire population of street kids and gang members. Three feet from the hotel, my boyfriend witnessed a man pull out 2 crack pipes, and I overheard a drug transaction take place. Not all rooms have a bathroom. We were expected to share a bathroom with 4 other rooms. I met our neighbour before we even had a chance to unpack. He was an overweight, old man, sitting shirtless and looking intoxicated, watching tv with his door open....Needless to say, I would need my boyfriend to stand watch at the bathroom door with a shotgun for me to consider taking a shower there. It seems more like a cheap hotel for pimps to take their business too. Luckily, if you had made your reservation within 24 hours, you could cancel and get your money back, which I did, and we stayed elsewhere. Yes, it cost me quite a bit more, but at least I wasn't fearful for my life.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The location and the people who frequent this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank erika_23

Travelers are raving about these Montreal hotels

Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel is only good for the location. It is a prime location - especially during the jazz festival - at $97/night (shared bathroom) - I thought it was a great find. You are about a 30 second walk to the jazz festival. You can hear it at night, but it wasn't disturbing. The people are nice - they overcharged us but were quick to resolve the problem. Room was OK - if you are a picky person, then forget it. It's clean, but they don't really clean your room - sometimes our beds were made, we got some clean towels. Room is very small, but survivable. There is a sink in the room with soap but no kleenex box. The bathroom was a little gross. Sink was clogged the whole time so we had to come back to our room to wash our hands. I stayed there for 4 nights and the smell in the hallway (a mix of pee and weed) increased every day. Breakfast was basic - good croissants, toast, bananas, coffee. It was fine for my trip, but I would look a other places the next time I go to Montreal - not worth $97, even for the location.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the shared bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Druxilla
Hong Kong
Reviewed June 22, 2008

Hotel Villa is a perfect place for visiting the city. It is very convenient to get to the old Montreal, Chinatown and shopping malls. The rooms are very cheap and comfortable. Staffs are very nice and helpful. They helped me plan my visit in Montreal. I don't think I would have time and opportunity to visit so many places in so short time if they did not suggested me which places to visit most importantly. Great place to stay.

• Liked — getting around the city
  • Disliked — a bit noisy during nights because it's a busy street
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank Amanila
Anangaya
Reviewed September 5, 2007

I stayed for couple of days in the weeked with my family. The new administration is fantastic. Very friendly and very good service. And panaromic view of downtown of Montreal. Easy to access for all services including Metro, Bus and restaurants. Very important thing is near to the old port. Walking distance. Multicultural environment and planty of festivals.

Room rates are very good compare to other hotels. Family packages are fantastic.

• Liked — Location & Price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Anangaya
Seattle
Reviewed September 4, 2007

My wife booked this hotel for a family vacation. The website pictures looked good and the price was very resonable. After staying in this hotel for four days I would no recommend it.

The surrounding area was clearly the red light district. I could stand in front of the hotel and see strip bars and x rated video stores in EVERY direction. The parking lot across the street appears to be a gathering spot for a local motorcycle club (emphasis on club not gang). They started gathering there in the early evening. The club then proceeded to rev engines and hang out until 1-2 in the morning.

The rooms were incredibly small. Our room had two full sized beds crammed into a very small area. The room had a desk lamp, frig, TV and a extremely loud external air conditioner. However the room only had one electical outlet. So you had to choose which two devices to plug in. And forget about recharging your cell phone or digital camera.

The hotel staff was very nice. However many times there was only one person onsite. Since the single employee had to man the front desk they were not able to come to your room if you needed towels or any assitance.

When we booked our room online they required us to pay for the entire stay prior to checking in. After seeing the hotel I can see why. If I had it to do all over again I would pay a little more money for a better experience.

• Liked — Staff was friendly.
  • Disliked — Room quality was abismal.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family