Hotel Villa
Hotel Gault(Montreal)
$340
$250
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night during the labor day weekend. It was booked at the very last minute and I was expecting the worst experience ever. I was surprised by the cleanliness of the room. The decor could use some improvement but the hotel felt very safe, I wasn't concerned about leaving my valuables in the room while we were out and about. I definitely got the sense that the management was making an effort to improve the quality of the facilities. Our room was on the second floor which contained a relatively newly renovated bathroom. There are many homeless people in that area but its also a heavily trafficked nightlife area on the weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with its own bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nekoro G
Winnie W, General Manager at Hotel Villa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear guest,

We really appreciate the time you took in writing this excellent review. Very often we will hear some of our guests tell us how their stay was a lot better than originally expected due to some reviews they had read online about the animated area that is downtown Montreal (especially during the summer time) and our property being in the center of it. We would like to express our most sincere gratitude for sharing your experience with other travelers and we feel honored to have contributed to make your stay a good one.

We look forward to maybe seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed on Aug 15th, 2012 with my family and this is not the place to stay - there are lots of homeless people in front of the Hotel Street and lot of adult stores around the place – definitely not for family
Customer service was terrible - I left a very valuable thing which has no use for others but never returned – I called many times and offered $ 100.00 as a gift if the return

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tsering D
Winnie W, General Manager at Hotel Villa, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Greetings,

We appreciate your review and are sorry to hear about the issue you have experienced. Though our convenient location is one of the reasons why we have many returning guests, we understand that a small minority of our clientele may not feel comfortable with the animated and lively area that is downtown Montreal.

With that being said, our service/staff record speaks for itself and has always been something we take pride in. All of us here at Hotel Villa really go the extra mile to help a guest with an issue and have always immediately provided/fixed anything and everything a guest bring to our attention. We have a strict follow-up system in regards to lost/forgotten items and have returned many valuable and less valuable forgotten items over the years such as wallets, phones, books, hair wavers, etc. We nonetheless apologize if we were unable to recover your lost item.

We wish you the best of luck on your future vacations.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Villa during the third week of July 2012, having found it on the internet. I read some of the reviews and saw that some were negative, but the ideal location overrode my hesitance. The first thing I noted upon arrival was the helpfulness and courtesy of the staff, which influences my opinion greatly. All people that I interacted with at the front desk were friendly and helpful with any questions I had, including directions to different key points in Montreal. They seemed genuinely interested in helping customers have an enjoyable stay and a memorable visit to Montreal. The neighborhood was a bit loud, but in spite of this I felt very safe there. The rooms were clean and equipped with clean amenities. It is a basic place to stay, clean, without too much frills if you want to have an economical but enjoyable stay in Montreal. When I needed help with my luggage from the sixth floor to the taxi upon departure the courteous clerk gladly helped me transport my gear. If I would want to visit Montreal again, they would be the first people I would call. Thanks to the Hotel Villa, I experienced a very memorable vacation. The only problem I had was my TV did not work, but the second time I stayed on my return the TV was in good condition.

Room Tip: rooms on floors 1-5 have elevator; 6th does not; make sure TV in room works before settling in
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Debra F

Greetings Debra,

Thank you for posting your review from your stay in our hotel through Trip Advisor.

It was truly a great pleasure to have you here as a guest and we are delighted to hear that we contributed in making your vacation a memorable one.

We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

For the rates charged I had a great stay. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The Hotel is centrally located within walking distance of all the downtown happenings. The room was basic, but it was clean and comfortable. Expect to see some interesting places and characters around, after all you are in the heart of Montreal. Having said this, I never felt unsafe walking the streets till late. If I could add one thing to my wish-list it will be a bathroom in the room.
Overall I enjoyed my stay, staff were friendly and the rates were affordable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Mike M

Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at Hotel Villa. Our main goal is to offer the best vacational experiences to our guests, and reading this kind of reviews make us feel extremely happy. Thank you very much for all the positive points you mentioned.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future and perhaps put you in a standard room (with private bathroom) the next time around.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is a budget hotel - so when you book it, keep this in mind. It's only $50/night for a budget room (i.e. shared bathroom) and about $60/night for a standard room (bathroom in the room or in the hallway but exclusive use).
We arrived late and the hotel made a mistake with our reservation so they put us in a standard room instead of the budget we paid for. We had the bathroom to ourselves but it was in the hallway. The bathroom was clean - the shower worked fine and there was plenty of hot water.
The room itself is very basic, and fairly small but the high ceilings make it look bigger. Our window looked out to St. Catherine St.
We were there during the Jazz Festival and the Metropolos Theatre is right next to the hotel, so in the evening (probably until 3-4 a.m.) it's very noisy. I would advise bringing ear plugs if you are a light sleeper. The inside of the hotel itself, was surprisngly very quiet - we seldom heard other visitors even though the hotel was completely booked.
The first thing we did was checked the bed for bed bugs signs (this is a standard procedure for us at any hotel), and it was all clean. The bed was comfortable enough for a night's sleep. The room is very basic, but for $50/night, it's fine. It's a budget hotel in a good location (central to shopping on St. Laurent and St. Denis, close to Old Port, and many Bixi stations). The jazz festival was just one block away.
The neighbourhood is a bit shady - there are sex shops and strip bars all around, and at night you may see some interesting characters. But, it's perfectly safe (we never felt unsafe walking around at wee hours of the morning). It's only esthetically displeasing - if you care about this kind of stuff.
Overall, for a budget traveller, this place is totally fine.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room facing away from St. Catherine if you want a room that's a bit more quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple